Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Does the Bible ever say polygamy is wrong?

With the new law in Utah legalizing polygamy as a Christian I actually am proud that this is finally coming around to where we can follow our religion. But I see quite a bit of false Christians who don't want to accept polygamy. Does the Bible say polygamy is wrong in the Old Testament or no. I only want things from the Old Testament because the New Testament was created in around accent Greek and I know they had same-sex marriage the same time they created monogamous marriage so I think it's wrong to fall under that standard. The Bible created polygamy before the Bible marriage was only for royalty and creating alliance. So the Bible definitely played a role in polygamy and so the Biblical definition of marriage is 1 man multiple women. So yeah since monogamous marriages only came around accent Greek and even they had same-sex marriage I think accepting monogamous marriages is just as worse as accepting same-sex marriage. It's against what God wants.

The reason why I want something from the Old Testament.

Matthew 5:17 King James Version (KJV)

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

@patty because it was accent Greek and people were starting not to accept it. But people don't change God's word.

• viola

Yes! Please read Genesis 2:24 it says Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. And Matthew 19:5,6 it says For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. The Bible further shows that an overseer in the Christian congregation must, if married, be “a husband of one wife.” Likewise, the “widow” should also have been the “wife of one husband.” This is further evidence that monogamy is the standard for all Christians. Overseers, as “examples to the flock,” cannot claim that their position of oversight entitles them to a standard for marriage different from the one for others in the congregation. (1 Timothy 3:2; 5:9; 1 Peter 5:3) So Christian options are clearly either singleness or monogamy. Either is perfectly acceptable to God. (1 Corinthians 7:8, 9) Polygamy, though, is quite out of the question.

Monogamy only was forced on people by the pagan Roman Catholic cult around 1,100 A.D. It is a Roman cultural practice to have only one wife, not a biblical one.

Polygyny How it Became Uncommon

https://www.dropbox.com/s/we6qit0nljwixts/Polygyny...

Polygyny a Challenge I faced

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cokwhd505lhmme/Polygyny...

• Otto

God permit Abraham, Jakob, and Salomon to have more than one wife.

But God is not the originator of polygamy. He gave Adam just one wife.

• patty

he ignores the new testament not because it was in greek but because he finds out polygamy is not accepted.  He longs to be like king Solomon who had many wives.

Yes, it does, in the Old Testament. The prophet Nathan (?) taught king David that the wives a prophet gives you are Jesus' business, but the normal rule is one man, one woman, one marriage.

• patty

in the old testament king Solomon had 400 wives. In the new testament men are allowed one wife

• patty

U can try and justify it but You are not a king and we are not living in the old testament. 

King Solomon might be referenced . Get some concubines too 

• tenn

Not directly, no, and since many of the patriarchs and early kings had multiple wives God clearly didn't care.