Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Why did Dems stay silent when Limbaugh was awarded Medal of Freedom during SOTU? Would Repubs stay silent if the opposite happened?

I think this shows how weak Dems are and how strong Repubs are

Remember Joe Wilson's "You lie" outburst during Obama's speech

Democrats never, to my knowledge, nominated someone like Limbaugh.  While undoubtedly an important media figure, he's also a highly divisive and controversial one.  If we look at media figures awarded by recent Dems then we see non partisan journalists like Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee and NBC News anchor Tom Brokaw, and television figures like Ellen Degeneres and Oprah Winfrey who aren't as political or controversial as Limbaugh.  Bush awarded people like Carol Burnett and Andy Griffith.  Even if you like Limbaugh and approve of his being awarded this honor, you've got to admit that he's a very different figure than the other media figures who have been honored. 

As for the idea that this demostrate's weakness on the part of Democrats, I'd say just the opposite.  Silence demonstrates strength.  Both to refuse to applaud Limbaugh's shameful honor and to refrain from disrespectful displays.

• I agree he is different than other media figures, however that wouldn't disqualify him, nor would your personal opinion of him being controversial which he is not.

Then a few days later he insulted gays

Oh darling..no matter how much your bigoted lil mind tries to distort things..studies have shown that the reason repiggies choose to be repiggies is cuz you lockstep, order taking, mindless sheep have enlarged amygdalas. Look up chicken5hit syndrome sometime.

They were paralyzed by their hatred and rage. I'm sure Ellen DeGeneres and Oprah Winfrey got applause from everyone present when Obama gave the same award to them.

• humpty

Shock, I suppose. Awarding the Medal of Freedom to a man like Rush Limbaugh makes the award meaningless for those who actually earned it. It would be like Trump awarding himself the Purple Heart for bone spurs.

Imagine how thrilled the right would be if Obama had awarded it to Al Sharpton.

Joe Wilson was correct when he called out Obama's lie about illegal immigrants not getting Obamacare. However if the reverse happened, and democrats gave Limbaugh an award im sure the republicans would have remained respectful.

• Elaine

It shows that the Democrats are not boors. 

I really don't care I always vote GOP.