Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

Do I really need birthing classes?

I don't have any anxiety about giving birth. I'm not necessarily in to be totally holistic means of birth giving oh, I'm having the baby in a hospital probably going to have an epidural Etc. But I feel like understanding the process of birth doesn't require me going to a class. I'm generally well-researched on the subject now from doing a lot of reading while being pregnant and I don't feel that it will benefit me to go especially since if I did have any questions I can probably find the answers via the Internet on YouTube or from my own mother who has obviously given birth. My mother-in-law is giving me a really hard time about not taking Lamaze or birthing or nursing classes and I can't quite explain to her how I am not anxious about the birth and I feel confident that I will be prepared naturally

• Edna
    Favorite Answer

Honestly, from what you wrote, I don't think you need any 'birthing classes". You have a healthy, mature knowledge already of what's going to happen during the process of giving birth and you're not anxious or apprehensive - you don't need to be 'taught' anything. Most birthing classes stress the Lamaze method of giving birth (no pain killers) and breast feeding.

My son was born 58 years ago, Back in those days, there was no such thing as "birthing classes". Everything went just fine without them. I think they're a waste of time and money.

• Banana
      2 weeks agoReport

I watched an online course from babycenter that was exstensive (51 parts in all though not that long) My doctor ended up saying that was fine as long as I had some info. 

• Suzy Q

I'm going to go against popular opinion here: my birthing class was a waste of money. Oh, there were some relaxation exercises that were nice at the time, but I didn't learn anything that I didn't already know from my own research. In fact it was my own research that enabled me to separate fact from opinion presented as fact in that class. If I had relied on just that class for my information, I wouldn't have been able to make an informed decision about getting an epidural.

My husband actually took a daddy class and had a similar experience. Opinions presented as facts, and platitudes like 'follow her lead' and 'be her advocate'. No, really? Wow, never would have thought of THAT. He said the most useful thing he learned was to put a towel on top of a garbage bag in the car to protect the seat from amniotic fluid. 

I think you're making a mistake trying to explain you 'will be prepared naturally'. It makes you sound naive and uninformed in a 'I guess my body will know what to do' kind of way. But that's not what you're doing, is it? You actually have been educating yourself, only not through classes. Some people learn best by having information presented by a teacher, others by doing research, finding it for themselves and reading.

You seem to be in the latter group. It's a different learning process, not an unwillingness to learn. Maybe it will reassure your mother in law to know that you are in fact educating yourself. 

And if not: well, this won't be the last time your mother in law disagrees with you on something concerning your family. Consider it practice. 

• LizB

You may feel prepared, but does your partner feel adequately prepared to support you how you need when you are vulnerable and in pain and have limited ability to direct him? Will he be able to clearly communicate your wishes with clinic/hospital staff and advocate for you if you become unable to do so for yourself? Those classes aren't just for the moms, you know.

• LizB
      1 month agoReport

BTW, during *my* first birth experience, I became literally unable to advocate for myself because I wound up sedated in the ICU for 2.5 days. You think I planned that? Fortunately, since hubby and I took those classes, he was very clear on my wishes and was able to direct my care when I could not.

Do  you really need it - no - women have given birth for years without having a class to teach them how to breath during the contractions.  (after all - that is one of the main goals of Lamaze - teaching breathing techniques and other methods to help deal with the pain of labor).

Will you be able to naturally do it yourself - well you won't know that until it happens.

As for nursing - I do strongly recommend meeting with a lactation specialist.  It seems like nursing your baby naturally should be the easiest thing to do - but it really can have challenges and talking with a lactation specialist can be a huge benefit.  If you want to try on your own, go ahead, but if you start having issues, then get an appointment with a lactation specialist as quickly as possible.  If you don't want to breastfeed, then this is also not an issue.  

• Tri-Harder
      1 month agoReport

There's no such field?  Are you serious?   Good Heavens, Edna, a simple Google search proves you wrong.  No medical knowledge even necessary to figure that out. 

You don't have to, but what would it hurt?  You can read up on it, but getting hands-on instruction is much more beneficial.   You can also plan on epidural, but what if your labor goes too fast?  What if your epidural doesn't work?   And the internet/YouTube/your mother are hardly resources to evaluate your specific pregnancy.

• Tri-Harder
      1 month agoReport

Based on that and your post, sounds like you had a very poor birthing class.The instructor should be working with you one-on-one as well as the class, and finding out your specific fears/needs.I can understand why you have a poor opinion on it, but your class isn't an example of a normal class.

The birth class police don't exist.