Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Do journal editors know if a manuscript they receive was previously rejected by another journal?

It is a basic rule of publishing scholarly articles that one should not simultaneously submit the same manuscript to several journals. It seems that editors have some way to find out if a manuscript they receive through an electronic system (like Manuscript Central or Elsevier) is already registered in the system as a paper under consideration. This is quite appropriate. I wonder, however, if the same registration system also enables editors to see if a manuscript was previously rejected by another journal (which might inspire them to reject it on the grounds that it was already rejected by another editor). If this is indeed possible, it seems to be unfair to authors, since many top journals can publish only a fraction of the numerous manuscripts they receive, and thus many papers are inevitably rejected even if they are of good quality. To blacklist these manuscripts as if they were ab ovo unsuitable for publication anywhere would be quite unfair.

To Sam: What I had in mind is whether the title of a previously submitted manuscript remains stored in the electronic registration system not only in the category of "currently under consideration" but also as "rejected earlier". This would enable editors to know the status of the paper without asking any other journal. 

Read all the guidelines. They will usually tell you if you can submit to others or not.

I doubt they would have the time to read about manuscripts that other editors read since they are busy reading so many manuscripts they receive.

I sincerely doubt it, my love. Editors scarcely have time to read submissions, let alone discuss said thousands of submissions with others.