Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

My mother believes medication for anxiety and depression is bad. Is she right? Do I discontinue?

Favorite Answer

We don't know whether or not medication is a good idea for you, but it's VERY important that you don't discontinue taking your medicine without consulting with the doctor. Going without the medicine the wrong way is dangerous. 

There's a lot of things that can help with depression and anxiety and a big advantage to having a professional who knows how to use them. I have advice from experts in my answers, and you're welcome to click and read.

• Lisa M

Your mother is pressuring you to go off a medication that a physician prescribed to you for your illness? That's child abuse. Would she tell you to go off cancer medication? Of course not! She only wants you to discontinue because it makes HER feel uncomfortable because she doesn't understand mental illness. You going off the medication will not make her problems disappear. She needs to educate herself.

Your mother is a very smart woman and she’s trying to protect you. Psychiatric drugs are extremely dangerous. People have committed suicide after taking them. People have gotten brain damage from them. 

I have brain damage from taking dangerous combinations of psychiatric drugs based on a misdiagnosis by a horrible psychiatrist who ignored all the toxicity symptoms I was having from those drugs for years.I’ve never been the same since I was severely damaged by these drugs.  My life was pretty much destroyed.

People have committed murders while on these drugs. Something like 60% of the mass shooters in this country were on psychiatric drugs or trying to withdraw from them when they went on their rampages. That’s documented.

Go to a naturopathic doctor if you’re going to go to any doctor at all.. They will help you feel better without exposing you to neurotoxic poisons made by pharmaceutical companies. Also get a lot of exercise if you can and maybe take up art or  music or something therapeutic like that. 

There are a lot of alternatives to psychiatrists who are sick bastards and the poison drugs they give people to lobotomize them. Don’t go near a psychiatrist. 

They are even giving very young children these psychiatric drugs now. Because psychiatrists are psychopaths. And all they do is act as drug pushers for the pharmaceutical companies. It’s a criminal partnership .

• atomic fireball

I’m sorry you had to go through all that. There are millions of people who have been severely damaged by these drugs. Some of them are not even alive anymore to talk to us about it. I’m glad you’re still around

Take your meds or go to jail fundie 

she is ri8 but sometimes its work

I take medication for anxiety and depression I recommend to speak to your doctor I took myself of it and it just makes it worse.

• Mr. L.

You’re mother is wrong.  She’s basing her opinion on old stereotypes.  

1. Does she have a medical degree?

2. Does she have a medical degree?

If not, speak to your doctor, get his/ her opinion

• Lisa M

Exactly!

• patty

ask her if she would like a mental illness with no medication

Try the medication for a little while and see how it goes.  If the side effects outweigh the benefits, or if it's not working, then discuss alternatives with your doctor.

How does she know, has she tried it and didn't work for her? Some people really need it to function properly. There are many different types that affect individuals differently. It's trial and error in finding the right one for you. Some swear by them while others don't like them. 

• Lisa M

My parents used my being on anti-depressants as reason to call me 'crazy' even though they never once stepped foot in a psychiatrist's office. My mom died a miserable woman who did nothing with her life. Whereas, I'm happy and consider myself successful and that I've contributed to this world.