My 2005 car (chrysler sebring) always needs a jump start. Why is this?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Jay P
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

A few possibilities include:

-dead battery ( not holding charge )

-alternator not charging

-parasitic draw draining battery while vehicle is parked.

• M.
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Could be a battery past its useful life (that means old).

Could be an alternator not working properly.

Could be some hidden load on the electrical system.  Maybe a glovebox or trunk light stuck on.  Maybe a high power sound system with no on-off switch.

My Sebring had the charging system voltage regulator in the computer (ECM, ECO, PCM)!  And it stopped working.  A new computer was the answer.

• 6 months ago

Because its a Sebring. You need a battery or you have a light on you aren't aware of.

• 6 months ago

Bad battery

Bad battery cables

Bad alternator.

Go to an auto parts store and they will test the battery and alternator for you for free.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Parasitic draw. #1 reason is that people leave their cellphone charger plugged into the cigarette lighter and they do draw enough to kill the battery. Most people drive their car less than an hour a day so that's not sufficient to keep the battery charged if you leave the cellphone charger plugged in. #2 reason might be the radio or some other device but you'd have to isolate the circuit by yanking fuses to see what is drawing current when the key is off.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Because there's a moron in the drivers seat

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Your battery is dead (not taking a charge) or the car has battery drain.  See a mechanic.

• Rick
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Either a weak battery OR the alternator is dying OR you have an electrical leak somewhere in the car.       Test it:  when you are finished driving for the day, unhook one lead from the battery for the night then hook-it-back-up just before you drive the next day.  IF it starts then, the battery is good .......

• 6 months ago

Because the battery is dead.

Lv 7
    6 months ago

My 19 year old son has a Sebring we originally bought for $2,500.   We ended up replacing the battery, alternator, the ignition switch, the starter motor, the spark plugs, fuel filter, and fuel pump.  It finally starts every time, but still is hard/slow to fire up the engine. 

We also replaced the water pump, radiator, and power window motors.  I think we spent about 4,000 dollars to get the car in top running condition. 

Next time, we will buy a Toyota instead.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.