Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Mother refuses to trap mice inside house walls and in basement: crazy?

My parents have a nice house.  For the first time last night, I heard mice running around.

When I asked my mother about it, she said that she knows that mice are in the basement and inside the walls.  She said it’s fine because snakes will come in the basement and eat some of them.  (She’s a scientist.)

Is that position- just leave mice alone- crazy?  

Won’t they multiply and eventually end up running around inside the house (not just inside walls and in the basement)?  

I figure that you need to eliminate mice from a house as soon as they’re there.  Otherwise the problem will get a lot bigger.

• y

You are right, the mouse population will increase and they tend to leave their droppings behind them. They introduce disease, surprised the scientist doesn't get that. Depending on where you are, the wrong sort of snakes may end up stopping by for lunch. So that is another potential issue.

I know some who do not want to harm anything, they try to figure out where the mice are getting in and block up those entrances while trying to chase the mice out.

You are absolutely correct--mice should be eliminated from living in your walls and home. They chew wire insulation, they can short out your electrical system, their urine carries germs and disease, their droppings do as well--they smell bad, they breed like crazy and they can infest a home and overrun all its structure in no time flat. Snakes aren't a good deterrent, pest control IS. It's not "crazy" per se--but it's not responsible to think that it's okay to live with a mouse infestation. They will eventually destroy your home if not controlled. Snakes or no snakes--it's not a healthy idea to leave them to their own devices. 

Yes that's crazy.  Mice are slutty and have a TON of promiscuous little trailer-trash babies in a single one-night stand with the neighbor's husband.  You shouldn't let the problem go as it will lead to an infestation of inbred degenerates.

• Shark

your Mom needs to see a physician who specialises in geriatrics.

She has an aversion to the science of spring traps?  They work 100% of the time against mice.  Closing up the holes will keep the snakes out too. 

You are 100 per cent correct. 

The mice are in your mother's basement, you say? Isn't that where you are as well?

• Edwena

You should get your mother a few cats and a mongoose for the snakes.

• oikoσ

My guess is that she is not a population biologist or an ecologist. Snakes will eat some of the mice when the mouse population is high but hunt elsewhere when the population drops, allowing the mouse population to rise again. In my house, I get some mouse control (during the warm weather) from black rat snakes. I still trap the mice I can get, both to save my food and to provide food for my turtle.

Mice carry disease and constantly urinate which spreads it. Are you sure she's a scientist?