promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How Does This Rent Situation Work?

I'm trying to rent an apartment with 2 people.They have jobs and have enough money for rent. I'm looking for a job but won't get one in time, and I only have $400 right now.

Would I need a cosigner or get declined to live there since I don't have a way to get paid for my portion of rent, even though my boyfriend has enough for both of our rent?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Rent 101... One must have a job in order to rent an apartment.

Play friends come and boyfriends go. But roommates are roommates through a legal document that has consequences if not followed through with. Let's just say that you and your boyfriend broke up and you didn't have money for rent. How do you expect your other two roommates to handle your inability to pay rent? How fair is it for them to be evicted when they are paying their fair share of rent?

When one becomes an adult and starts to live on their own, especially when they're signing legal documents such as a lease, they must take into consideration how their situation impact other people. Would you be ready willing and able to sign a lease with a roommate that doesn't have a job to pay the rent? No? Then how do you expect two other people to do that for you?

The bottom line is no rent situation works unless everybody has the money to pay the rent on time.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

That 100% depends on the landlord. Many would approve the 3 of you as a household so your lack of income would be less of a problem. However some will require each of you to qualify separately. In those cases you would typically be denied. If they will approve you with a cosigner is again 100% up to that individual landlord. 

All you can do is ask that specific landlord what their policies are. 

• 1 month ago

Simple.  They will be accepted (provided references, credit, background checks are okay) and you will be denied.  You have to have a job, and usually a full year of work history where you are currently working.  Some landlords require only six months.  It makes no difference that your bf friend makes enough for both of you.  You are not his child, supported by him.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 1 month ago

If your bf simply says he will cover you for now, that should be fine. If your bf lends you the money for now and neither of you mention it, that should be fine. In terms of getting the money to the landlord, he wont really ask (or probably even ask) who paid it. In terms of getting approved to rent a place, your not currently having a job could be a major factor, but cross that hurdle and it'll be fine.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Use the overdraw ability at your bank...it cost is $35 bucks and most banks will let you overdraw up to $500....get it all for each overdraw is $35 bucks....But the money will be gone to whatever you deposit in thirty days...

• 1 month ago

that is up to the landlord.  he may let you sign with them as long as they have enough between them to cover your expenses.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Going to be tough with little to no credit and no job.

• 1 month ago

That is up to the owner of the building.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.