Eva asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 months ago

Can anyone please explain, why is this correct?

I thought, it would be Restriction Endonuclease, because restriction enzymes cut off DNA (which I thought is the same as annealing), but it turns out that I was wrong

Favorite Answer

Restriction endonucleases are enzymes that cut DNA at specific bases, and so cannot be an enzyme used to join fragments. 

I don't like the use of the word "anneal" in the question. To me, annealing DNA is the process of going from single-stranded DNA to double-stranded DNA. That is a spontaneous process and doesn't require the presence of an enzyme.

The question seems to be using the word "anneal" to mean "join", as in linking smaller DNA molecules into larger ones. For that process, Ligase is the appropriate answer. 

• Ted K

Agree--"anneal" is exactly the wrong term to use.  "Ligation" would have been the more appropriate term--but of course that would have given away the answer...