Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 2 months ago

Can carbonic acid and phosphoric acid form in solution at the same time?

So, let's say I'm running a qualitative analysis experiment and trying to determine the anions present in an unknown mixture. The possible anions in my solution could have been Cl-, I-, SO4 2-, NO3-, CO3 2-, and PO4 3- ; I was told that my unknown contained only 1 to 4 of them. The scheme I designed instructed to add 6M nitric acid if a precipitate forms after adding silver nitrate first (which it did). From here, three different things could have happened: the precipitate remains, the precipitate dissolves and bubbles ensue, or the precipitate only dissolves. When I added the nitric acid, the precipitate dissolved and bubbles ensued, signaling that carbonic acid had formed and the CO3 2- anion was present. However, is it possible that the phosphoric acid may have formed at the same time as well and I would have to test for the phosphate anion too? Or would the fact that carbonic acid formed eliminate the possibility of phosphoric acid being formed?

There are no answers yet.
Be the first to answer this question.