Can binoculars go bad over time?

I have a pair of binoculars that I think are about 40-50 years old.  I know I haven't looked through them for more than 20 years.  When I looked through them today, they were not sharp at all.  I tried cleaning them but it didn't make a difference.

• Herman

I suppose most everything will go bad over a period of time especially if

not maintained.

Look what happened to daniel g. as he got old.  His mind went bad and he answers questions

with stupid and dangerous answers.

Shame you did not mention the make or model.  80 percent of a binocular or rifle scope cost is the lens coatings.  Cheap models use soft cheap coating that are easily damaged if cleaned wrong.  Expensive optics have stronger metal coating that can take some abuse.  Could be they were cleaned improperly.

Some of the more expensive optics are filled with an inert gas and sealed.  This prevents moisture for getting in and making them fog up in the cold.  You see this ALLOT for optics designed for ocean use on ships and sailboats, and for hunting optics.  Over time a seal can go bad and the gas leak out, moisture come in.  The temp fix for this is an oven at 100-120 degrees with the door propped open a half inch and let sit for 4-6 hours to drive the moisture out.  Obviously, this is for metal optics - plastic ones wont do well in the oven without you watching them like a hawk.

For plastic ones you take big 1/2 pound desiccant bag, recharge them to the specs printed on them in an over...… then put the optics in a big plastic bag with the recharged desiccant bags.  Give it a few days or a week - or a month depending on what has gone wrong.

That said - some optics, the nicer ones, have a life time warranty.  Look them up online and see if they are one of those.  If so, you can send them back and get a similar model all refurbished or your back in due time.

Hope this helps. 

• Erik
      1 month agoReport

It says "Bushnell Sportview", and then under that, "Fully Coated Optics".  I didn't buy them but I doubt they are top of the line.