Is this a dumb idea for a book?

I want to write an autobiography but in novel format. If I were to do this, it would be a series.

It would go like this:

An 11-year-old girl starts middle school in a big city (she comes from a small rural school) in the midst of a brutal divorce and custody battle between her parents. As time goes on, she begins to lose herself in the crowd at her big school as she also struggles with her home life and gets her first taste of depression. Her father begins to sexually abuse her as well as emotionally manipulate her at home when it's his week to have her and she also begins to get bullied at school. The book will be her trying to navigate the formative years of her pre-teen social life while also dealing with abuse and trauma that she can't understand. She will deal with self-harm and crippling anxiety as well that she needs to learn to deal with.The climax will be when she finally tells a school counselor about what's been going on, and thus begins the trials and court cases.

Book #2 will be her going through the aftermath of coming out about the abuse. She'll move back to her rural school where she will experience relationships that aren't good for her and other things that are very clearly manifestations of the trauma she experienced earlier in life. The climax of book number two will be a mental breakdown and her finally caving and getting the therapy she desperately needs. She will not be happy at the end, but she will feel like she can be.

The point of the books will be 1) to illustrate the American legal system and how hard it really is for victims of abuse to come out about what's been done to them and 2) to highlight the effects trauma has on young girls and how it doesn't just end when the abuse does. I also want to show the different forms it can take throughout the person's life. 3) I want to end it on an unfinished note. She is not happy, or better, but she can be. Because that's life. No happy endings. 

Favorite Answer

I'm sorry, but the storyline has been done to death. Both in novels and on TV with Criminal Minds, Police Story, CSI and many many other cop shows. I think we've all seen hundreds of versions of this already.

As a writer, be creative and try something unique. Stay away from the 'teen is alone, parents dead/drunk/abusive/sexual predators, nobody knows what she's going through'. Even if it's true, it's a storyline that just about every teen writer wants to try because they think they're the only one who came up with it. None of that is original in novels, or even autobiographies.

And frankly, when a story is a downer through the entire plot and has no resolution at the end, it's not going to be something actively sought out to be read. Writers craft a story. They have a plot that moves forward, doesn't stagnate with heaping bad on top of bad on top of bad. The main character has to grow and overcome obstacles. Wallowing in the bad isn't going to show good writing.

• Iman2 months agoReport

I didn't mean that it wouldn't be a happy ending or there wouldn't be good parts. Have you ever seen the movie Paper Towns or Diary of a Teenage Girl? The main characters don't get what they want and go through a lot of heartbreak, but they learn from it and that's the happy ending.

• Cara

If you want to write this, write it, because it would be an interesting and perhaps helpful exercise for you. Don't worry at this stage about whether or not anybody else would want to read it. Once it's finished you can think about that, and get advice.

Sounds awfully bleak, my love.

• Marli

It's interesting and, I hope, will be therapeutic for you and enlightening for the readers.  Good luck with it.

That would be more of a memoir than an autobiography.  I think putting it into one book would be better than spltting it into two books.

• Iman2 months agoReport

Yes, I suppose you're right but if I promote it as a memoir no one will care. Why would anyone care about some random girl? I feel like if I don't sell it as fiction, it just won't sell or no publishers will be interested.

There are no 'dumb' ideas for a book. The ONLY question, EVER, is, "How well can YOU pull this off?"

• Iman2 months agoReport

I'm not sure, I guess. I'm very young and I've never written a book before. However, if it doesn't sound like something that others will be interested in is there even a point in trying?