When the dishwasher drain hose is disconnected should water flow out the disposal inlet?

I've been trying to fix the draining problem with my dishwasher. When I pull the dishwasher hose off the disposal and run water into the sink, it drains without coming out the dishwasher drain inlet. Could the clog be in there or is that normal? And YES THE PUNCH OUT FOR THE DISHWASHER ON THE DISPOSAL IS LONG GONE. I can't feel any gunk in there either.

It seems like water should come out the disposal if the dishwasher line is disconnected but it doesn't. 

It's a newer 1/2 HP Insinkerator. 

the inlet in the disposal side for the dishwasher is several inches above the drain in the disposal. So the water you run into it goes down the drain and not out the dishwasher inlet.

Now, if you fill the disposal with food waste and then run it, or dump a full dishpan into it, then it will probably come out the dishwasher inlet. temporarily, until you run the disposal and drain it

Source(s): grampa
  • Droopy

Run a rinse cycle on dish washer an put hose into a bucket.   If the dish washer pumps the water out into the bucket then the issue is the disposal.

If it doesn't then you have a blockage or a bad pump.  I'd lean towards pump they tend to go bad.  

Straighten out a wire coat hanger (or similar wire) and insert it in the dishwasher drain hose. Retract it and I would bet that is full of grease. Use the wire to plunge through the grease and run the dishwasher empty on the hottest setting possible.

Good news is boiling water and TSP cleared out the goo left by the pods. No more pods!

The disposal MAY have a valve to prevent back flow. The test would be pumping water INTO the inlet to see if it passes through the disposal into the drain.

yes that is normal when it is disconnected