Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

My family is pushing me to date after my husband died I just can’t ?

My husband passed away 6 years ago at the age of 25. I haven’t dated anyone seriously since. Im 31 now and my family keeps pushing me to start dating and meeting men again. I know it’s been 5 years and I need to move on but I am still struggling and just have no interest in dating. Any advice? Should I just try online dating? My husband and I were together since we were 14 so I never dated anyone else ever. 

1st .... no on line dating., the sights all end up being hookup for sex sights 

What would be the reason for them pushing you?

are you not financially secure and being a burden on them ?  and they want you to be taken care of? 

are you lonely or need sex and they see it ..

are you acting all slumpy and they see you need a pickup? 

if you have no interest in dating,, do not !  

I would suggest you find and man who is equally with no desire for occasional un-obligated sex.  

IF you do not have a burning desire for sex,,, do not date MEN need and want sex with a women who needs and wants sex..... dating is for that reason not anything else. 

bust most important , do not do it for money 

Make your own damn mind when your ready you'll  know alone time to find you love works and hurts your gonna cry someone will find you a another rare love 

Ultimately, you're an adult and you can make your own decisions. Although your parents should already know and respect this, it won't hurt to remind them of this very simple fact.

If this is true, it's none of your family's business whether you date or never date again. I'm not sure why they think it is?

You know you do need to try to start dating because I can tell you are really struggling and you need a good guy to pick you up. The longer you wait the smaller the chances are that you will get a good guy. Do you have any children?

• Ocimom

Have you had some kind of grief therapy after the death?  If not, please do.  While people grieve for different periods of time, it has been 6 years.  You are young.  There is no reason you should not be out dating now.

It's past time for you to set some boundaries!  This is completely inappropriate on their part, but they keep pushing because on some level you're allowing it.  It's fine to ask about it once, but beyond that, it's pushy, annoying and inappropriate.  Tell them you will date again when you feel ready, you don't know when that will be, and they need to not bring it up again.  If they do, this is where the boundaries kick in.  Hang up the phone, stop replying to texts, leave the gathering if that's where it happens, etc. 

There's no set timeline on this. 

• Piero

You are feeling sorry for yourself. You think you are grieving, but you are wallowing in self pity. It doesn't matter if you feel like it or not, go out there and get into a cheap physical relationship. NOW. This will do wonders for your self confidence, help you get into the dating scene, and besides, sex is fun. Do NOT get into a serious relationship too soon.

Source(s): Outlived 2 wives. Been there, myself

It is time already.  You should have had at least 3 or 5 lovers in that time as a single modern woman in your quest for healthy and adventurous sex life..  What are you waiting for?

• Helen

Grief doesn't have an expiration date. If you're not ready you're not ready. Trying to date other people when you aren't ready to move on is not fair on them.

Tell your family in no uncertain terms to back off.