how can i face up to my upcoming eye exam?

i'm really scared, i'm 42 years old and male, i acquired type 2 diabetes years ago after living an unhealthy lifestyle, but since the diagnosis ive done really well managing the condition, i watched my diet , went to the gym to swim when i could, and lost nearly 3 stone, and got my blood sugar right down...the nurse was pleased with me in my last annual review check.

but i have my eye exam coming up this week, to check my eyes, and i'm really nervous and scared, because i already have an anxiety disorder...but i'm also scared that ;what if they find something wrong with my eyes or vision?

i'm trying to be man enough to face this appointment, be strong as iron, but inside i'm turning to jelly...as i'm also scared of anything clinical.

any help? or words of hope and encouragement?

Favorite Answer

An eye exam is painless. It does not cause any issues, except for maybe needing glasses.

I've had to go for regular check-ups for years, which have included eye exams, MRI's, EEG's, EKG's, blood tests, X-rays etc. The way I see it, is that the test themselves doesn't affect the disease/disease progression. Might as well get it over with and in the worst case scenario that there is something wrong, then the tests will help you catch it early, so that something can hopefully be done about it before there's too much permanent damage.

Another way to deal with it is to not dwell on it, arrange for some kind of "reward" afterwards and focus on that instead. E.g. even though I don't mind all the poking and scanning, I often arrange to meet up with a friend for a cup of coffee afterwards. This way not all the focus is on the doctor/hospital visit.