promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

On Amazon, how come dvds are more expensive than Blu-rays?

Sometimes, I'll see dvds that're $14.99 and the Blu-ray version of the same movie would be $9.99. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I've always thought Blu-rays were more expensive because they're HD.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I was wondering that, myself. It could be it costs more to produce discs with the older technology. Or, maybe, it's because DVDs are more versatile (and can be played on any player, old or new - as opposed to BluRay or 4K discs, which require their own player and can't always function with older technology). Because of this, perhaps DVDs will continue to hold their value and will be around a lot longer than some might think!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Not exactly sure how, but don't also forgot that Amazon.com does have sellers that won't to sell stuff, like movies they decide they no longer want. But can be based on if it is something newer or an older release. And it also  depends on hw you define expensive. But you would think even a blu-ray and even a blu-ray and dvd would be more expensive then just dvd only. And movies can even be more expensive if they are out of print too, there are only how many companies of The Jungle Book (1994), and even that is going more then 50 dollars. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

My guess would be that they're sold by third party sellers who have jacked up the price.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Blu Ray still doesn't have nearly the market penetration of DVD.  Lowering the prices of the Blu Rays encourages people to buy Blu Ray players.  The more people who buy players, the more discs they can sell.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Often is costs more to keep producing older stuff.   It was the same when VHS tapes were phased out, they used to be cheap then started going up in price as tech moved away from it.

• Bradley2 months agoReport

That makes sense. It's hard finding VHS tapes nowadays.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

blu rays are more common now. think of dvd's as vhs's in this case. rare

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.