What is a good public records search site? ?

For free. I’ve searched, but not having much luck. This is a real question and looking for someone to give an answer. I know how to use a search engine, but all sites I go to require a payment. I only need to use it one time, so I’d rather not have to pay if I don’t have to. So, if someone with experience can answer, that would be amazing. 

Criminal records 

Favorite Answer

Websites of the City or/and County Clerk's office andThe Secretary of State

Some sites are labeled Vital Statistics.

There are also, Veterans Administration, Immigration, and various Military and civic associations.

WHERE?  Try the county website, which ever county you want to search.

You have to go to the actual public record itself.   The original source.

So...what kind of public records do you want?    You didn't say.

Public records are held at a wide variety of locations...everything from salaries for public employees, property records, voter registration records, civil and criminal court records, etc.

Some records do not become public until a future date.   For example, you can't get vital records (birth, marriage, death certificates) for some random stranger while they are still alive and usually until a specified number of years past their death.   Census record become public 70 years after the census year (if my memory is correct).

• Maxi

If you are looking for living people, they have privacy rights and public records are not records the public can see they are records about the public and as living people have privacy rights their own public records are not avilable for anyone to see...so unless they advertise themselves or are careless with their private  information, so social media like FB or they register their landline phone to go into a directory... so this advertising of themslves or carelessness about their information is collected by websites and that is the way they make money by selling what they have collected which is why there is a fee as it saves you searching social media, phone directories, electoral rolls etc ( which are free) to get the same collected information they have got in one place.

• BBG

"public records are not records the public can see"   Of course they are.  That is exactly what "public" means.     I think what you are trying to say is that not all government records are public.   Some become public at a future date and some are never public.