promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
? asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

African migrants to UK have learnt the local regional accents since WW2, how come Brits to the Empire never learnt the regional accent ?

where they settled, they always retained their British accent

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

They would if there from children and had access to locals,but as English is the worlds greatest language it would only be acceptable to develop a local dialect (like Australian) It would not ever be sensible nor wise to lose their precious Englishness,as I am proud to have myself.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Biomuthafuckinglogically, British people have a mutation preventing the normal development of their hypoglossal muscles, and so they talk that stupid way and cannot change. Kind of like people from the deep south of the US

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Some did, it was called "Going Native".

Proper English did not approve of shedding the "Proper Customs".

Natives were/are expected to adopt the Proper Queen's English, but not too good. (Much like the Southern United States disproved (outlawed) 'da slabes' adopting the masters ways.)

From antiquity, a conquering nation demanded the end of the native language and forced adoption of the conquering language.

But have no fears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx4in5WU5A

Youtube thumbnail

• Ludwig
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

No. I knew an old lady who had married an officer up on the North West Frontier. She spoke fluent Urdu.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because we were rulers and they are the savages. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.