Heather asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

I can’t figure out what my cats are allergic to? ?

So I’ve been dealing with my cat TJ and this excessive itching problem for months now. I’ve had him on steroids and even ended up having to put him on prescription food. Now my other cat Timmy is having a problem as well. He also had a little itching problem but not this bad. My cats are not related.

I’ve tried sprays

, I’ve tried un-scented litter. I’ve been to multiple vets and I just would like to know if anyone has had the same problem and what helped your cat out? Could they both have stress issues? I'm just so confused & stressed out. I can post pictures. 

We fed the cat food from the table meaning leftovers from supper.  So it ate potatoes& gravy, turkey, beef, fish whatever we ate it ate.  Same for dog.  We avoided the cat food or dog food most of the time.  The vet always asked what we fed the animals and understood that to be better than the schit in the cans or boxes.

So change their diet to table scraps.  Chances are good the itching will go away.  Also they must have a clean place to sleep...not sleep in the dirt.

This could be anything.

I chased itching in my dog for FOUR YEARS til I figured out for myself it was a fungal issue.  I now control it by bathing her, and especially her feet, regularly with Malaseb.  

Malaseb can be used on cats and it’s worth a try if you think you can bathe your cat. I have only ever had one cat I bathed and he only got bathed a couple times in his life.  I’ve had other cats that would have shredded me if I tried to bathe them.  Malaseb has antifungal and antibacterial elements and is safe for dogs, cats and horses.  My vet recently also turned me on to some small wiping pads that have the same medication I can use on my dogs feet between baths, there might be something else available that is cat appropriate.

There are so many things that could cause itching, including environmental factors.  If you have carpet it could be fleas or mites in the carpet.  Can also be fleas or mites from outside or chemicals used on the carpet.  Can also be chemicals like fertilizers or pesticides used outside.  Can be allergies in their food.  Can be detergents or other household products on their bedding or in areas they have access to.

Don’t stop trying to figure it out.  Maybe even keep a log of what you are doing and how the cat is acting.  My dogs itching was cyclical, worse in warm weather, responded to symptom treatments like prednisone, benadryl, some anti itch shampoos and lotions but it didn’t treat the problem, as soon as I stopped treating for symptoms it would come back.  When I realized it might be fungal (totally on my own after many vet visits with different vets and thousands of dollars over 4 years - even being told by one vet to just get used it).

I ordered Malaseb on line from 1-800 petmeds.com.  The instructions said shampoo her, let it set for 10 minutes, rinse well, then do it again 2 days later, then as needed or as instructed by your vet.  After the first shampoo and rinse, her itching was 80% better.  After the second one, no more itching AT ALL.  I find I have to shampoo her every 4-8 weeks to keep the fungal activity in check.  When she starts giving her feet extra attention I shampoo her again.

• Maxi

"I’ve had him on steroids" which may or may not help........ as they knock out the animals immune system ..so while on them they can help but unless you find out what is causing it and deal with that the cat is worse off as it has a limited functioning immune system to fight with.

"I’ve tried sprays" again affects their immune system and cats are very sensitive to chemicals...so things like air fresheners, perfume or household cleaners can badly affect them.

I am assuming the vet has taken blood, skin scrappings to make sure they don't have mites

The most common causes of itching are parasites, infections, and allergies. There are many skin diseases that do not initially cause itching. However, itching may develop with these diseases due to secondary bacterial or yeast infections. It is possible that by the time itching develops the initial cause is long gone. In the case of cat allergies, allergens can come from your cat's dander (dead skin), fur, saliva, and even their urine.

Once you eliminate any protental alergins so chemical cleaners, hair sprays, air fresheners, perfumed candles, wash any of their blankets/beds in cheap non perfumed or no washing liquid and increase your cats exploring environment, so cat tree, climbing shelves, toys  which reduce stress and activates their brain  look at improving their immune system so it is healthy https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/blogs/holistic-heal...

• Casey

have you tried a dermatologist? Elimination trials for allergies are tedious and it can be impossible to tell what the allergen is because it could be so simple. It could be stress-related too but the best way is to find a dermatologist who can do allergy testing. Rule that out first then worry about stress-related triggers.

allergies are much easier to pinpoint because you can test for them whereas stress triggers there is no test and it could be absolutely anything. Things you aren't even aware of/would think of.

What kind of food did you try? Hydrolyzed protein food (a prescription food) is usually good for pets with allergies. though a small percentage will still have issues because they are only free of COMMON allergens there are still ingredients they could be allergic too which is why if it hasn't help allergies tests are best.

For stress factors, you can try Feliway sprays or plugin infusions and/or calming collars. there's also "rescue remedy" which you add to water and calming treats. I would try a combination of these.

it could also be as simple as dry skin so try adding fish oil to their diets.

Cats are scratching themselves or rubbing themselves against objects.

Fungal infection, pox, flea there can be many problem you need to narrow it down.

fungal infection will leave patch of fur missing, shaved patch

pox its viral goes be itself, kittens need to be taken care of. it will have small red spot with patch of fur missing, mostly near neck region

flea avoid spraying with medicine that the cat don't like. Try vacuuming, brushing, floor, mopping floor with repellent  or cat rest place should be white so that you can catch those flea that jump of them when they scratch or you are brushing them. 

All the above can spread to human, please try to solve this as quickly as possible