Monica asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

brought home a second cat and now my resident cat is super afraid ?

My boyfriend and I adopted my resident cat about a year and 3 months ago from the animal shelter. she was 6 months old at the time and from the beginning I could tell she had some kind of trauma because she was very untrusting of humans and would rarely even let me pet her without her gnawing at my hands. Over this time we’ve had together, she’s let down her walls more and more to the point that she now welcomes affection way more. However we can still see signs of whatever trauma she may have had because she’s still very hesitant to do things like sit too close to us, she acts very protective of her tummy area, and sometimes still acts scared of us

Yesterday I brought home a stray and also female cat. Initially my resident cat saw her in the cage when we brought her in and generally just seemed curious and slowly began walking towards the cage to smell her but freezing momentarily as she stared at the new cat and when we’d call her name she would completely ignore us and this went on for about 15 minutes until my resident cat hissed at her. After that her behavior became completely withdrawn and she began to hide behind or under the couch for the rest of the day. She barely ate her food all day and we ended up having to move her littler box, water fountain, and food bowl to behind the couch out of fear that she would starve herself or not use the litter box out of fear. Her behavior just seems like she’s afraid of the new cat and i don’t know what to do to make things better

Your Resident cat has dethronement anxiety 

With your stray cat is feeling afraid and feels 

intimidation and scared.

And the stray cat may have a wound on its

Stomach, please see the Vet to tend to tend

To heal stray cats suggested wounds & traumas.

Vet may suggest tablets please oblige thanks,

And ask how to remedy of 2 alpha cats so

Both can be friends.

One other remedy might be to feed resident

Cat first ok ( with both cats separated thanks ok?)

Then gradually bring bring both together slowly 

Or reharmonize both cats friendships thanks.

Thanks 

Very best wishes 

Mars 

Source:) Study informal.

Ps please settle each cat and feed only

When both are quite ok?

Try on drop of lavender oil on resident cats tail

After checking with Vet thanks

No warranty is given.

• Eva

It will take time for them to get used to each other, perhaps even weeks or months. As long as there is no aggressive behavior from either of them, leave them to it. They'll figure it out eventually.

• steve

Cats and dogs are the same when you bring more than one into your home.

My sister has three dogs and one is the leader of the pack. The top dog hated the boy dog when they got him but has now accepted him and now because she is old and has not long to go before she goes the other female dog is challenging her everyday to be leader.

I think unless you get both at the same time so they grow up together there are going to be times when they fall out or one like your cat seeks solitude and hides away.

it breaks my heart to think we’d have to regress and go back on the progress and pairing we’ve done with our cat for the past year and that by me bringing the new cat home i’ve made her so scared and uncomfortable that she has to starve herself or not be able to use the litter box- I know that she was holding it in because as soon as we moved the litter box to behind the couch she used it. 

She’s also scared of the new cat to the point that she’ll walk up to the door that the new cat is behind of smell around and just shy away and run back under the couch. 

The new cat is such a sweethart and so loving and we’re already so attached but if she’ll cause this much distress to our resident rescue I’m afraid i’ll have to find another home for her.