promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Can you wrap the exhaust system in carbon fibre wrap?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

ONLY IF YOU LIKE THE SMELL OF BURNING PLASTIC. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Sure and as you run it, it will start on fire. Make you extra toasty!  I HOPE!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Carbon Fiber does NOT burn unless at 1600 Fahrenheit. I Tried it, and some Graphite.

If you use the resin-impregnated stuff, not just the C fiber braid, that resin will burn, stink,  smoke. A  . Mess.

• 2 months ago

Nope, you have to use header wrap or specially designed wraps that are primarily made from fiberglass and graphite. Things that have no resin or anything that might burn at high temperatures.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jason
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Why would you want to? 

• 2 months ago

NOT NECESSARY! Modern cars usually have STAINLESS STEEL exhausts! You CAN help by installing DENSO TWIN TIP IRIDIUM LASER apspark plugs and usign only the BEST synthetic oils, like PENNZOIL PLATINUM that extends warranty to 500,000 miels! GOOD LUCK!

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's possible yes, but whether it's a good idea or not is an entirely different question...

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Carbon Fiber is similar to fiberglass, as it uses a resin to bind the rather delicate carbon filaments together. It is unlikely that it will hold up to the high temperatures of an exhaust system.

• BS. Fiberglas IS  Glas Fiber ( silicon Doxidee, NOT in any way "similar") Carbon fiber Wrap may or May Not be resin impregnated. I have seen C fiber and fiberglas exhaust wrap Specific; no resin. Resin burns  Off in a few, anyway. 

• 2 months ago

I CAN, aka I am capable of doing so.

That is ENTIRELY different from claiming is it a good idea.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, the heat would melt it. 

• BS. Carbon Burns  at 752  F, does Not :  "melt" Exhaust might be 400 at exhaust valve; 250f an inch down. I know, I checked an Air Cooled motorcycle. Waters cooled cars run cooler. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.