Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 2 months ago

Do I need to get another rabies shot if I got scratched by a cat?

I got scratched by my dog a month ago so I got shots for a rabies booster + anti-tetanus. My first anti-rabies shots were over 8 years ago which is why I only had to get a booster. I got scratched by my cat this time and I want to know if I have to go for another shot even though it’s only been nearly a month since my last one. 

I know my doc said the booster is valid for 2-3 months but I’m not sure if I have to go again bc the new scratch is from a different pet? The wound isn’t super deep either although it broke the skin a little so there’s a small line of coagulated blood. Also: I’m sure my pets were vaccinated before but they haven’t gotten any booster shots. 

• audrey

You don't need a rabies booster, you need a psychiatrist to help you with your hypochondria.

• Therese2 months agoReport

yea ik i’m prolly worrying too much but i can’t help it ok gah dam,, 😤

• pmt853

Unless you live in an area which has a rabies problem then you should not need a rabies shot. Do you think your cat or dog has rabies?

• Rick B

Why on earth would you get a rabies shot if your dog scratched you?????

I don't believe you. No doctor with any sense is going to think that your pets are carrying rabies.

I call paranoid troll.

• Therese2 months agoReport

😐 that’s the first time i’ve heard that. does it matter where the pet was from? bc i didn’t get my cat from a pet store... sorry my questions might be dumb i get worried easily