Kathy asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

What's wrong with this reply after someone asks how you are?

"Fine."

And wouldn't it finally get annoying if the person who asks how you are always replies after your answer, "Not great? Not terrific?"

Favorite Answer

Their response to your response could be mildly annoying depending on the personality. Being asked "how are you" is mostly an over rated icebreaker and half the time the person asking doesnt really care how you are, and in that situation then an appropriate answer is "fine". But if the person is asking in a more caring and curious manner then maybe you might want to expand the response a little bit to be more reassuring and descriptive. For example "I'm doing fine, just a little bored I guess" is better than the boring and uninformative, but yet classic, "fine" response. 

There is nothing wrong with that reply. 

Yes that would finally get annoying. 

Just tell them, "For me, 'fine' means 'great' and 'terrific'."

i dont see anything wrong with it

It's not the response to the question, it's how you delivered the response.  The next time this question pops up, redirect your answer with a question.  Say something like "I'm fine, how are you."  This forces the person to respond to your question.  Another response is "fine, thanks for asking."

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

Sometimes when a grocery store cashier is ignoring me, I say, "I'm fine, how are you", to startle them out of their rudeness. They often absentmindedly reply, "Fine, how are you", to which I could say, "I already told you", but the point was already made.

It all depends on the tonality of your voice.  You can say virtually any word and based upon your tonality when stating it, can communicate your mood.  So if you get annoyed when people respond with "not great?" or "not terrific?" consider how you sound when you answer "How are you doing".  You may be offering a whiny or sarcastic "fine" and not know it.

Fine is ok, the other a little weird, unless you really wanted to piss them off. as noone wants to hear the truth.

How are you is just a fake greeting.

Very few if any people in life really want to hear

“I’m feeling like s.it” 

Or “I’m not ok”

Or “My dog just died and I’m sad”

They do not care.

Fine is very direct, I‘d probably add a “thanks” just to soften the “fine”

Or say “Ok thanks”

I can count on one hand the number of times a person In my life actually wanted to hear the truth.

I alway say “ok thanks”, regardless.

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

My doctor asks me how I am and genuinely wants to know. Most other people are just using it as a lame sort of greeting.

They're trying to start a convo with you and you're not playing your role. I suppose it would be annoying if you didn't like the person.