Can someone drive your car if you're insured?

If you have car insurance, and someone drives your car and they have car insurance, and they wreck, is your car insured? I got into this debate with my roommates and they're under the impression that it is. I said it's not. You have to cover someone on YOUR policy for the car to be insured. Who's right?

27 Answers

  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    Maybe. It's complicated.

  • zipper
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

    Only if that person is on your policy. If they are not a named driver on your policy, they can drive it but they are not insured to do so. They have an accident, BOY WHAT A MESS YOU WILL HAVE!

  • Sparky
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

    You need to cover people by specific name or by age group on your policy.

    Their car insurance won't cover them if they have an accident in your car.

  • 6 months ago

    Depends on your insurance company but in general insurance follows the car but ultimate responsibility rests with the driver.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

    When a person has liability insurance he is covered for property damage and bodily injury claims he caused. If he is driving someone else's vehicle, his liability insurance will not cover the damage to the car because it is under his care, custody and control, which is an exclusion in most policies. If an insured is driving another vehicle as a temporary substitute (while the insured's vehicle is being repaired) his collision and comprehensive insurance applies to the temporary substitute.

    Source(s): Retired claims adjuster.
  • 6 months ago

    Yes and no.  Get used to that, because that is how all insurance questions are answered.  Insurance questions are never a straight yes or no, they're always a yes-with-an-if and a no-with-a-but.  Welcome to the world of legal contracts.  Lemmy break it down to basic layman's terms for you...

    Insurance isn't a product you buy, it's a legal contract you agree and enter into.  That contract is made up of hundreds (or thousands) of little clauses, and those little clauses decide what is and is not covered.  That's why insurance companies all have huge teams of lawyers working for them, in case you were wondering.

    One clause in your policy says anyone with a valid licence is covered to drive your vehicle, but another clause says you agree to inform the insurer of any and all licensed drivers living in your household.  And yet another clause says if you lie or even fail to disclose the whole truth on your application, the whole contract is null and void from inception.  And they're deadly serious about all of them.

    So what actually happened, and what did you tell your insurer?  That's where the real answer is.

  • 6 months ago

    That all depends on which country you live in, for example, the USA has different rules than the UK.

    Name your country to get a better answer.

  • May
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

    You are wrong.

    Vehicles are insured, not people.  With the possible exception of people who live in the same household,

     If someone OCCASIONALLY drives your INSURED car with your permission and has a valid drivers license, your car's insurance will cover the accident.  In this case the friend's car insurance has nothing to do with it.

    Also.... They do NOT have to be "LISTED" on your policy.

    Also some here said they would have to be "LISTED" on your policy. 

     That is BS. !  There is no such thing as "LISTING" people on a insurance policy with one possible exception and that is same household members often must be listed.

  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

    The answer is no in most instances. Read the policy binder. Don't let anyone drive your vehicle if they don't have their own liability and comprehensive policy that covers them for rental vehicles because if you loan it out and they don't have that rental coverage you will be screwed in the event of an accident. If you own the car and go on a road trip allowing a friend to swap driving and they get in an accident, there will be no liability coverage if the friend doesn't have a separate insurance policy that allows them to drive rentals and loaner cars. Same deal applies when you rent a car and don't have adequate coverage and they force you to purchase a separate comprehensive coverage binder at the rental desk or force you to get additional deductible gap coverage or cover the gap with a deposit because your policy coverage is inadequate. When I rent a car with my $1K deductible I am forced to place a $1K deposit on my CC that they refund or pay for the rental gap coverage.

    Sure you can let them drive, but if they aren't listed on the policy it becomes a no fault liability claim which basically means they will cover the other driver and dump you from your policy if you are lucky. In most cases the insurance company will throw you under the bus and deny any claim on the policy. Seriously, you can't be that dumb... Are you?

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    your roommates are right

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.