In the U.S, how much money should a person be making yearly in order to have a child in order to take care of them?

• Edna

In the U.S. the average cost of caring for a baby in the baby's first year of life is $12,000 to $13,000. That's not counting prenatal care or the doctor's and hospital bills at the time of delivery.

YOU figure out how much money you will need to be making yearly in order to afford that. 

• Jenny

Depends on where you live... In the rural South, you can raise a child comfortably on $30K/year. If you live in San Francisco, $30K/year would barely cover rent...

~$25,000 annually (per kid) plus the cost of family health insurance is my belief.

It depends on if you r here ILLEGALLY or if your on welfare etc... There is no set amount but if your illegal you do not have to work... just move to California and say your a illegal..

That figure varies greatly by where you live.  The best advise I can give any young person who wants to avoid living in poverty is:

1:  get an education, minimum High School Diploma

2:  get a job, full time, if you can’t find full time then get two jobs.

3:  get married BEFORE you have children.

The poverty rate for black unwed mothers in the USA is around 75%

The poverty rate for black married mothers in the USA is around 7%

Get the point?

here in los angeles you'll need a $20hr+ job to make it

• Tri-Harder

In my opinion, you'd need two parents with a bare minimum of $20+ per hour to even start to make it in the LA area. 

• edward

The question should be “can you make $1 out if 15¢?”

The ability to spend money wisely is something that is more fitting. For me and my wife we were both making $80k (ish) a year before we got married so spending money wisely isn’t something we had to worry about but even some of my friends don’t make that and they have kids. Happy kids who have everything they NEED. And aren’t in financial ruin

I gave my two children a roof over their head - food on the table - a public education - healthcare (good insurance through job) - and most modern electronics for $50,000 per year.  

We took a vacation about every other year.  We had family movie night and family game night at least once per month.  Family time is more important than how much money you can spend.

Really, it depends on your location and exactly how well you want to live.  If you want an expensive vacation every year, then you would need more.  Certain cities are more expensive to live in than other cities.  Find a small, mid-west city and you can live on much less than a major city like New York.  

Depends where you live.  It's like asking "how big of a car should I buy?"

It's not about a specific amount of money but rather if one can provide the necessities of life.  The cost of that varies significantly from place to place.  And beyond economic capacity, giving the child love and attention is also important.  Many rich people forget that part.