Can I return AirPods to get a new pair?

I got these AirPods from a friend but he said “I left them in the washer, and they don’t work anymore”, first the case would light up red (No AirPods inside the case and only with the lid up) when I plug it into the charger, so I assumed that meant it was charging the case of whatever the **** so I then put the AirPods into the case as well, but their was no light so I was like “What the ****?”, my expectations were already low but I mean damn, they should at least charge right or something, so later I kept plugging and unplugging it and now the Red Light doesn’t even come anymore, so then I let the AirPods rest in rice for two days and a morning, let it charge for over 6HRs but nothing at all, not even a light. I’ve tried resetting them and connecting it but it’s like the connect button doesn’t go in all the way or something. I’m guessing the AirPods were fried by the water so I’m thinking maybe I can go replace them for some new ones even though they’re not mine but their still original. Can I do that or is their some alternative solution to fix it? How can I check if the AirPods them selves work cause clearly the issue is the case.

Cannot, because it was water damaged by your friend already.

Well no, you can't just return something that was user damaged (even if it was accidental) and expect to get a new pair. As far as fixing them goes, that's pretty much impossible since they aren't meant to be taken apart at all. You would need to obtain another charging case if you want to rule out the airpods being damaged.