Tasting wine aren't you supposed to swish it in the glass and hold your breath when sipping etc.?

Anything on the Internet that says this but I'm pretty sure that I'm right. remind me. 

Favorite Answer

No. You’re supposed to breathe in over the top of the wine. Try it. 

• Lara N1 month agoReport

thanks that is prolly what i was thinking:) 

Skip the hold your breath thing. The aroma of wines is an important part of its flavor profile. Like brandy, but further away from the glass.

• oikoσ

Wine-tasting can be serious, if you want it to be. first, you look at it and note clarity, color, and depth of tone. you swirl it to determine whether the wine has "legs". Swirling, in the correct glass, also makes it easier to check the "nose" (Burnt.  musty, rotten egg, fragrant, fruity, etc). and the depth of the aroma. Finally, you taste and determine body, sweetness, and palate (astringent, metallic, astringent, etc). This covers everything from initial impression to aftertaste. Some people swish the wine around in the mouth to oxygenate it. I prefer to "chew", which is more often done in beer tasting. A really serious taster with lots of wines to taste will then spit the wine out, rather than swallow it. I am not all that serious and try not to have that many wines to taste. In other words, I'm a wino and I swallow the wine..

Also, if you have multiple wines of different styles to taste, you try to go from white to red, light to heavy, and dry to sweet. Mostly, I taste my own wines and try to tweak the recipe to remove any faults.

• No. You would NEVER want to hold your breath. It's not going to enhance flavor. You want all your senses active all the time - that's how you get the most out of wine. 

• Clive

No no no, you need to slurp it to get the flavour.

• Tony B

Normally if a person is “tasting” wine they'll begin by swirling it around in the glass so that they can smell it better - then they might say what they think they can smell.

I've never come across anyone holding their breath when drinking anything anything (including sipping wine). That would be silly😳.

Swish - that's up to you. Hold - no.

• Lara N1 month agoReport

I'm talking like aren't you supposed to hold your breath for like just a second at the exact moment that you take a sip so that the flavors are more enhanced or they're stronger?  I think that's what you're supposed to do