Question for my pc gamers ?

I’m new to the pc gamer and world was wondering. When you are done playing do you power off your computer or put in sleep mode? What’s the difference in the two

First up, there's 4 power states for PC's...

* Fully On -- This is the state you'll typically have your computer in when using it & for a while when idle.

* Sleep Mode -- This keeps system running, but at a reduced power as it powers off the majority of components, keeping only the RAM, network (WiFi) card & processor powered.  This allows your PC to conserve power & perform some scheduled background stuff.  It does take a few seconds for your system to wake up (& return to a fully on state).

* Hibernation -- This places your system in a "deep sleep", as Windows offloads the contents of your system's RAM to your storage drive (generally HDD) & raises a special flag BEFORE turning the system completely off.  This saves powers while off & starts up faster as Windows sees the flag & reloads the special file on your storage drive BACK to RAM.  It takes longer than Sleep to "wake up", but it's shorter than a fully off state & allows you to pick up exactly where you left off (before hibernation).

* Fully Off -- This state is triggered when you shut down your computer.  Nothing is held on the storage drive, so it takes the longest time to start up.  HOWEVER, you system is starting completely fresh or as a "clean slate".

Personally, leave my laptop running with the following power settings...

* Display turns off after 10 minutes of idling (5 minutes when on battery)

* Laptop falls sleep after 2 hours of idling (15 minutes when on battery)

* Laptop hibernates after 3 hours of idling (or drops under 7% battery level)

The main reason is behind this is to allow Windows, Bit Defender & other background stuff to wake up my system to complete such stuff when I'm not using the system... assuming such hooks triggers before it falls into hibernation, otherwise it'll address such stuff the next time I wake my laptop up.  While my laptop RARELY goes into a fully off state (as the closest it reaches that is during a reboot), it does conserve power when I'm not using it.

It's likely that your computer will have similar settings for your default.  You can check your power settings (in Windows 10, you may have to click on "advanced settings") & modify them as you see fit.

Hope this helps!

I personally leave my PC on most of the time. I will occasionally shut them down or reboot for maintenance.

There are a few different power states.

Powered off obviously means that the computer is completely shutdown.

Sleep mode is when the PC is in a "frozen" state. The PC is off, but it is using just a bit of power to keep the contents of RAM alive. This allows you to quickly pickup where you left off. The computer doesn't have to go through its normal power on cycle.

Hibernate is similar to sleep mode, except that instead of keeping the contents of RAM alive, they get saved to a file in your hard drive/SSD and the PC completely shuts off like in the "powered off". However, it will still turn on quickly.

There's another mode that's called hybrid sleep. This is basically a combination of sleep and hibernate. I believe that by default it is enabled in Windows 10 desktops and it shows up as "Sleep". So the sleep mode option isn't a true "sleep" mode, but rather a hybrid.

i dont have gaming but when im done i shut it off