How much does a gaming laptop cost?

I only want one to play fortnite, call of duty and apex legends. If I play games with a laptop I would like to connect a ps4 controller to play these games too. I sold my ps4 because my mom complains that my ps4 and my gaming monitor uses too much electricity so I want to buy a laptop so I don't have to pay So much for electricity because my mom has been making me pay half because of me playing games lately. I still want to play games without having to make the electricity bill so high and hopefully I'll stop having to pay half. Just want to show her how passionate I am about gaming. I'm willing to pay half of the electricity bills, but I would rather not because I plan to move out too and want to save up for school or perhaps new car parts. I haven't maintained my car in a couple of years. I will have to take a look at car parts soon enough. I have a feeling lol.

I have a laptop I currently use for research purposes that went around $300. I'm willing to spend around $300-$500 for a gaming laptop. I'll probably sell my Nintendo switch and this current laptop too to buy a gaming laptop. Thanks

Unless you 110% have an actual plan I would NOT personally recommend selling your Switch YET.

Emphasis on the word "YET".

I mean maybe when you are more financially stable then sell it of you REALLY want to do that but not until then as at least THIS way you still have a system of some kind to play until you get a new Gaming PC.

You MAY be able to play Fortnite with what you got now as of right now at least.

Plus getting a gaming laptop and a new one at that yer gonna be spending way WAY more than that unless your mom pays for half of it too.

Modern ones for all I know im gonna make a guess maybe like over $700.00 minimum to anywhere in the $1000.00 range For allot of the Modern day stuff.

Overall Id say do not sell anything else until you get an estimate on the Laptops real cost and for a decent modern day one.  I mean im not trying to put you down or anything im just saying in the mean time keep what you still have until you can afford to progress further.

Plus to me it sounds like your not 100% financially stable right now.

So overall for now just give it time.

"200- £500 depending on which one you buy

New one costs around $500, but those who can pay, but at $1500 and above. 

First up, in terms of power consumption...  the PS4 (original version) around 140 W/hr (0.14 KW/hr) when gaming.  A 42-inch LED TV would consume around 80 W/hr (0.08 KW/hr)...  for a combined total of 0.22 KW/hr (220 Watt-hours, roughly the equivalence 4 60-watt incandescent bulbs)

A gaming PC for titles you wanting to play, you'll want something in the mid-to-high end in specs.  Using my laptop as a baseline (HP Onyx Blizzard, i7 configuration... model #15-cb045wm) has a maximum power draw of 150 W/hr (0.15 KW/hr).  Some modern gaming laptops have maximum power draws between 65 W/hr (0.065 KW/hr) to 240 W/hr (0.24 KW/hr)... so it's possible the laptop is going to use MORE electricity in comparison.

ON AVERAGE, the electrical rates in the US are around $0.12 per KW/hr (the exact average @ time of writing is $0.1303 per KW/hr, which the range varying between $0.0947 - $0.3099 per KW/hr... but I'll be sticking to $0.12 per KW/hr just for the example).  Where $1.00 gives you ~8.333 KW/hrs, or you could play for roughly 34h 43m 15s (~34.721 hrs) straight for that dollar.  If you played your PS4 (@ 0.22 KW/hr combined) for 80 hrs / month (or ~20 hrs / wk), you'll be paying ~$2.12 (for 17.6 KW/hrs). Please be aware that this for JUST gaming & excluding other items like room lighting & climate controls (like heating / cooling).  Using an average household usage of ~908 KW/hrs (0.908 MW/hrs) or $108.96 / mo... which places your gaming at ~1.946% of the total bill.

Here's the list of common appliances for comparison...

* PS4 + TV -- 0.22 KW/hr or 17.6 KW/hr for a month (@ 80 hrs / mo)

* Refrigerator -- 0.1 - 0.25 KW/hr or 72 - 180 KW/hr for a month (24/7)

* Deep Freezer -- 0.03 KW/hr or 21.6 KW/hr for a month (24/7)

* Electric Oven -- 1.0 - 5.0 KW/hr or 120 - 600 KW/hr for a month (@ 4 hrs / day)

* WiFi Router -- 0.002 - 0.02 KW/hr (0.006 KW/hr average) or 1.44 - 14.44 KW/hr (4.32 KW/hr average, running 24/7)

Please be aware that this isn't 100% accurate, but it gives you an idea on electrical costs.

While assisting with the bills (like the electrical bill) is helpful, it also gives you a voice in the process...  so your mother can't complain if you're pitching in & if she does start nit-picking, you could start cranking out the numbers.

For a Gaming PC, you're going to want to budget around $1,000 for the necessary specs you need for the noted games...  although you could scrape with a budget of ~$700 with a reasonable deal.  The laptop will need to have a Nvidia GTX 1660 graphics card (or AMD similar) & at least a current generation Intel Core i5 (or a Ryzen 5) processor to hit the recommended requirements, but could drop down to around a 7th Gen Core i5 (or Ryzen equivelence) & a Nvidia GTX 1050 (AMD RX 560) to hit minimum requirements.

While you'll have to shop around, I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

$300-$500?

Forget it unless you plan to play games a couple of generations old.

If you're looking budget laptop able to run Apex Legends with a 1080p display, $700-$800. But a heads up on the PS4 controller. It'll take a little bit of know-how to get it working on a PC. Sony's a little weird about that. So unless you're comfortable figuring out the right software you'll need to download and configuring it, you may need a new controller.

Or... not. You'll already have a keyboard and those are shooters! Get a decent mouse instead and you'll never want to go back to a controller again once you get a feel for how much faster aiming with a mouse is.

you might be able to get a used one from amazon

An ok gaming laptop will easily cost around $600. Good ones can cost way over $1,000+. You're not going to find a new gaming laptop for that little amount of money. You would need to look into used and old (maybe 4+ year old) gaming laptops to maybe find one in your very small budget. Gaming laptops tend to run hot, loud, have poor battery life (maybe less than 2hrs), and not very upgradable.

• Steve2 months agoReport

Okay thanks, that was very insightful.

Normally about 700 bucks.

One with windows 95 or 98, you can play minesweeper and solitaire, hours of fun.