O asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 2 months ago

How big is the average Hotel lobby?

I m making a map of a place in my book that s sort of like a hotel, using a bunch of sticky notes all over my wall. Each sticky note represents 10x10 feet of space, so...how many should I use for the lobby of this place??

There is no "average size" size.

Some are large and some are small.  The rest are in-between.

If you are doing a serious project, why don't you VISIT some hotels and measure them?

You don't even say where you are.

Big city? Small place?  Huh??

I think its about 572 square, good luck with your map!

• elhigh

You can't really say "average," since so many hotels have distinct personalities they try to convey.  Interesting, at this very moment I just got a notification from Hilton Honors.  Honestly, stay with 'em one time and they blow up your inbox.  But the Athens, GA Hilton was pretty nice, with a sleek lobby, refreshments at one end and a spiral stair leading to meeting rooms on the second floor.  

It depends on the rest of the hotel and what the space might also be besides just a lobby.

Does the lobby share its space with a coffee shop or cafe or the in-house restaurant? That would naturally be a bit larger to accommodate foot traffic that isn't necessarily for the hotel.

That said, the lobby's square footage isn't contributing much to the hotel's revenue, but it is part of the house's face and contributes to its perceived value, so while it will be as nicely appointed as the house's budget can make it, and large enough to look welcoming, modern hotel lobbies aren't like they were 100 years ago, a sort of lounge for socializing. I would say for each ten rooms in the house, about 100 square feet of lobby, up to a practical limit of about 2000 square feet, which will be quite opulent.

If it's like some large venue hotels, the lobby may be an undelineated space at one end or side of a larger space that can be banquet hall, performance stage or exhibition space, or even at one end of a commons fronted by several retail establishments.

Hotels don't usually like space that doesn't earn them money - so if you have a lobby of any size you should have a bar or coffee shop associated with it. Depends what kind of offer you are doing - business or tourist, boutique or mainstream. 

There isn't an average. Some would barely rate one square, others would have 10 squares in each direction.

I'm not sure how you'd figure out an average unless you can find some statistics online. Small cheap hotels might have a lobby no bigger than the average living room, and large expensive hotels have lobbies big enough to have an hockey game in.

• drip

Depends on the hotel.  How big the hotel itself is, how many rooms it has.  How fancy/expensive the hotel is.