promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

how do i play soprano sheet music on an alto sax?

I am confused. I have an alto saxophone. can i buy sheet music for soprano sax and just read it the way i do for the alto? can i also buy tenor sheet music and read and play it on my alto?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Play the notes an octave lower.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

Here is something that will make ALL your music learning improve - download Finale NOTEPAD.  If you buy something for a Bb sax -soprano or tenor - add THAT instrument to the score you make.  Enter all the notes, using the number pad,or the qwerty keyboard.  All done?  Looks good?  Then ADD the apart ALTO SAX (in Eb).  Copy the soprano or tenor part - and just PASTE it into the alto sax part.  BOOM!!!  Done!  Takes a little time to learn- then you are good FOREVER.  One of my flute students keeps getting handed Alto sax parts in jazz band - I think they want her to GO AWAY - so I showed her how to do this. She shows up better prepared than all the sax players.  Yeah, I also get her a pickup and a BB transducer.  Sit down, boys - the lady has this covered.

• 3 months ago

in  your  mind … convert  the  treble-clef  notes  to  bass-clef  notes … i.e.  one  or  two  octaves  down.

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

If the OP cannot transpose, I doubt they can read BC.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.