promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can you file taxes a second time with different company?

Parents filed taxes through turbotax. It was rejected due to a small error.

I am leaning towards seeing this as a good thing since turbotax sleazed them into paying $40 for deluxe and then $40 again to pay to take it out of their return, for a total of $80.

So this time I think they should file through CreditKarma.

My question is, if the tax return was rejected through TurboTax, can it be re-filed under CreditKarma?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Credit Karma has NOTHING to do with filing your taxes.....it only shows your credit ratings.

• John1 month agoReport

They also have a no-frills tax e-filing service that is popular and actually free. Most people don't know about it. It's not as extensive as TurboTax so my parents for example will get about $100 less. But at least they're not crooks like TurboTax

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

If I were you I'd go into a tax preparers office, like HR Block or Liberty, and have it done in person. If it's rejected again they can tell you why

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If it was rejected under one agency what makes you think you can file any place other than the actual IRS...it happened to me once.  You're going to waste your time going to a different agency you have to go directly to the IRS .

• 2 months ago

Yes. If the return was rejected it was never filed and you may use any other software you wish.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

If your return was rejected, it is LIKELY that someone already filed using your SSN. In that case, your ONLY option is filing a paper return an fighting with the IRS to prove the first return was fraudulently filed by someone else.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would ask a tax place about this

• Shay
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A rejected return can be refiled using any method they want to use including using a different company.

They will need to determine what error caused the rejection and make sure they don't make the same error when filing again.

Sometimes it is easier to fix the error using the original company that it was filed with but if they don't want to use Turbo Tax again, then they do have the option to go someplace else. 

• 2 months ago

If it didn't get accepted then you can file it anywhere you want. You may still have to pay the $80, whereas I wouldn't expect you to have to pay anything more if you refiled with Turbotax.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If it was rejected, it's like it never happened and you can file anywhere.

• 2 months ago

You can keep filing until it gets accepted. As long as it’s rejected, you have not filed anything. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.