Any advice for renting an apartment for the first time? ?

I’m 19 years old ( 20 in April ), and a full time university student. I’m taking 13 credit hours this semester and I have a part time job in a restaurant as a cashier working anywhere from 13 to 22 hours per week. I have been planning on renting an apartment at some point during this year, but I only make $8.50/hr. I am currently speaking with my managers about adjusting my schedule to work more hours weekly. I know the obvious choice would be to get a roommate, but I don’t really have any potential options for roommates and the only person who has expressed interest does not have a job or their drivers license. As I cannot pay a full rent plus utilities, or be someone’s full time transportation, that isn’t feasible. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any advice as to what I should look for , how to look for affordable apartments, or even what I should know moving out on my own for the first time. Thank you! 

• Eva
    Favorite Answer

Sorry, you can't afford an apartment on your own working part time at that hourly rate. Add up what your take home pay is per month and no more than 1/3 (preferably not more than 1/4) of that is what you can afford for rent.

Check out this website https://kras.triproom.ru/

advertise for a roommate.  do you realize most landlords want you earning 2x the rent and often require a parent to co sign.

even full time, you will be lucky to be able to afford 400 rent

Don't rent an apartment. Just rent a room.

Nope