promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

What can you say about putting plastic covers on books?

I know it could protect the cover from further damage but of course it's not 100% guaranteed. And is it true that it can cause discoloration among covers for a long period of time? Like the white colors will turn into yellow.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Discoloring is mainly caused by sunlight so to keep them in the dark, or at least away from the direct sunlight, protects them. 

If the paper isn't 'acid free' chemicals in the paper cause it to deteriorate. This is the case with many cheaper paperbacks from the 70's before, which is a big problem for collectors. Old books and more modern books will usually be on Acid Free paper.

Oxygen can also react with the dyes in the colored ink cover designs, but there isn't much you can do about that. 

Some plastics give off chemicals but if they are designed for protecting books they won't, they should specify Archival Safe and Acid Free. Plastic covers are good but don't wrap the book completely in plastic, as some collectors do with books and magazines, as if there is trapped moisture in the air it will cause the paper to rot. They need the air to be free.

(p.s. The sticky plastic is not for collectable books only cheap books.)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

I suppose it preserves them for a limited period of time.

• 2 months ago

It's still wood which eventually rots, plastic covers won't cause yellowing just age does.

• Huh?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's worthwhile for books you want to keep for a long time.  The colours on the cover will discolour with or without the covers, as the card or paper they're made from gradually decays.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yeah, I bet these cold, dark Winter nights just fly by round at your house. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.