promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is there a difference between wiring my PS4 to the internet via the router or the wifi extender?

I'm in the basement and the router is upstairs so I want to know if there's a noticable difference when gaming

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

if the wifi signal will not reach your computer it will not reach the extender either ,any extender will slow your data sometimes by a factor of 4 but always  will halve the speed,  a cable is always best , try a powerline system using the electricity cables

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Mesh router is better solution. It uses one frequency to transmit and another to receive.

A wire is more reliable and probably faster for local connections, such as connecting to a NAS to stream movies that you store on it. Not that streaming moves is hard.  For gaming, you probably won't notice a difference as gaming doesn't need tremendous speed.

• 2 months ago

There will most likely be a difference. Wi-Fi is inherently slower than Ethernet for many reasons. Wi-Fi extenders cut your speed in half, so if your Wi-Fi connection isn't strong enough already, it will most likely be slower than it should.

For online gaming, you should ideally use Ethernet for the best connection.

If you cannot run Ethernet to your PS4 for whatever reason, consider using a network powerline setup. You get a pair of adapters. One of them connects to your router via Ethernet. The other is placed near your PS4 and also connects via Ethernet. The adapters will create a network using your home's electrical wiring. It isn't perfect, so it may take some trial and error in order to find the best location on where to plug in the adapters.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.