Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Is there a chance that I have brain damage?

When I was younger, my mother believed(and still believes) that bottled water was a rip-off and that we should just drink tap water. I have been drinking tap water my whole life, and only recently stopped because I heard that tap water can cause developmental issues in the brain. I feel like I don't have any brain damage, but 1. I have always had problems listening and retaining information. Often when listening to something or doing something I notice that my brain goes on autopilot and just feels empty, no thoughts at all. I remember some of the stuff I hear but no where near everything. Even the most basic stuff my brain just hears it and simplifies it or forges it entirely, and I barely remember any of the details of things I was just told. I have issues getting into a productive mood where I not only feel like learning but also retain information that I have learned. 2. I have also always had difficulty sorting things out, and still do. I tend to forget stuff right as I'm doing something then go do something else, only to remember I had better things to do. Also I have always been messy, never being able to properly clean or sort things well. 3. I have also noticed that my brain has always found really simple things, like, difficult? My brain just naturally puts things off, and whenever I am told to do something or I tell myself to do something my brain goes really sluggish, and I feel like being able to do as you are told is just something everyone should be able to do.

I also need to mention that I'm at an age where I'm legally old enough to do certain stuff but my body is still growing. For males, your body doesn't stop developing until you are like 22, and I'm not that old yet, so what I'm going through right now may just be my brain growing and developing, I'm not sure cause it's not like my brain has stop developing ever before 😅

• Mr. L.

I’m 55 y/o, drank water out of the garden hose, lived in a house painted with lead paint, smoked pot and listened to The Sex Pistols.  My hearing is pretty bad, but no brain damage, in fact my IQ is north of 150.

companies which sell bottled water does not want you drink tap water.... but brain damage for drinking water???  I think you are an idiot  believing all that bulls*hit..

• patty

u need a diagnosis from your doctor. Tap Water would not cause such a thing

i doubt it but if something was going on i dont think it has anything to do with the tap water

"Brain damage" seems to imply something irreversible.

Are there toxins in tap water? Yes. Do toxins affect the brain? Yes; they affect the whole body. Can those effects be reversed? Yes, usually they can.

And, there are many sources of toxins in our lives today. Tap water is just one.

• yet-knish!

You can do a search on "toxins in everyday life" or something like that, for starters.  I'll see if I can find something else.

Not from tap water. :)

Nah I doubt it unless your water is really tainted like Flint Michegan. Many people drink tap water. Don't worry.

Sounds normal.... At least within the parameters of everybody else.

Oh, and most of the bottled water IS tap water, or would be if it reached a town's water supply (not necessarily the same town as you live in).

• Tavy

You heard this where?  What a load of rubbish,if it were true billions of people would have problems.

Bottled water can be years old and the plastic leaches into the water over time.