Can I copy an artists unique technique?

So, I love a particular artists unique way of applying paint to canvas. He uses a spin machine and a pendulum.  If you havent seen his work, please check out Callen Schaub, it's mesmerising.  It's a unique style, he has invented his own spin machine out of a bicycle and pendulum swing  and I absolutely adore the effect it produces.  Now, I know it's illegal to copy artists designs and actual pictures to sell for profit, but is it illegal to copy their technique?  Thinking abvout Banksy, he uses stencil and I understand everyone can use stencils, but what about unique techniques like Callen Schaub?  My own spin machine, my own pendulum, my own art, but litterally copying his.  Our work will never be exactly the same, and I will never copy his colours and add my own, but is it allowed to do that considering someone else is, does and is successful in it?  A photo of one of Callen Schaub's pieces below. Amazing isnt it?

• John

He can only copyright his own works. The things that exist on paper or whatever. He could possibly patent his machine if it were truly original but since you say that it's made from existing things then that's not possible. Plagiarism is possible but more difficult to prove. Certainly if he got wind of you copying his style he would raise a stink. I doubt he could win in court. Since you want to outright copy someone's method I'm guessing that your audience might not be so large anyway.... I saw a guy on TV throwing buckets of paint into the exhaust of a jet engine and there was a canvas beyond, in the stream. Similar situation - it took some clever thought to imagine it but anyone can do it. And the art is mostly just decorative anyway.

• Tim D

A process like this is not covered by copyright, there is nothing to stop you making a similar painting using the process and as you say it would be individual since the process is intentionally quite random.

However, it is open to charges of plagiarism. And, of course passing it off as the work of another is fraudulent. In recent years there has been an increasing trend to ridicule paintings/styles etc which are similar to others, as plagiarism, especially on the online communities where such charges can be made virtually anonymously.

Personally I am not blown away by the work, the concept is quite clever and the choice of crop would be essential but the idea of mechanical/non-human painting is not new (I have a battery powered toy that will draw random patterns) and I am not sure I would enjoy looking at one of these images every day, but, as they say, each to their own. 

you might need his permission to do that