Software developer career?

I have a Bachelor's degree in Biology and would like to do a career switch to software developer. Can I get a job in this field with this degree and if I get a certificate in programming? Or will I need to get another bachelor's degree in computer science?

• Kyle
    Favorite Answer

maybe start with an associates degree.  get a taste for it.  i'm sure there are some jobs you can do in that field with just a two year degree.  certifications will help get jobs.  but they are very specific job duties in that field where a degree gives you more options.  you'll need to do research on what jobs you're looking for at various companies, then see what they require for education and or experience to get an idea.  use that as a guide.  

you could also look into the military.  they have plenty of jobs in the IT field.  you get paid training and experience for four years.  not to mention earn industry certifications.  but you only qualify for specific jobs based on ASVAB line scores (high school level).  so if you know basic computer stuff in that field, that will help.  then some jobs need to be in demand along with you might need to qualify for security clearance for some jobs.  do some research and see a recruiter.

you could apply for officers training with your degree.  or start out at a higher enlistment grade.  a recruiter will have more info on job selection process, and differences between officer and enlisted.

Some will require a degree to get an interview.  Why would anyone hire you when you didnt even get a degree in it?