promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

If your girlfriend was developing anorexia, how would you help her?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You can provide information about what helps, and that's no guarantee that it will do any good. Getting over this problem takes a lot of determination. It's hard.

Your ability to help in this situation is very limited. Maybe if you talked with someone in her family you could get advice - that is, if the person has good advice, like from a therapist.

Here's what NOT to do -  be an amateur therapist. Leave this to the pros.

Here's what I know - 

As the first video shows, teenagers with anorexia do much, much better with family-based treatment than with individual therapy with office visits.

I'll mention that there's another treatment that's often successful - DBT (video 2).

As this article explains, studies show that relaxation methods help with anorexia, although of course you have to be extremely careful about exercise, as this is usually part of the problem.

https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/blog/the-benefi...

About relaxation, the research on controlled breathing is amazing. A study with war veterans convinced the VA to recommend this for vets with PTSD. I have details about therapeutic breathing in my answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPyiddgWlfE

Youtube thumbnail

&t=115s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stz--d17ID4

Youtube thumbnail

&t=33s

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Not at all in my opinion

• 2 months ago

You need to know this is a mental health condition and it's that that needs to be treated. The whole food thing is just a diversion/noise and trying to tackle food issues is doomed to failure, as it doesn't solve the root issue.

• 2 months ago

i will help for my best

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Alfred
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Whoever develpos anorexia - needs / urgently needs professional psychological and/ or psychatric  health care in real  life, in her/ his area....yes

• Liz
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I would recommend reading Portia DeRossi’s book unbearable lightness. There is a clip on YouTube when Portia is on Ellen promoting her book and she talks about how to talk to someone with an eating disorder. I think the clip is Portia on Ellen audience questions. 

You can’t force her to get help, but you can love her. Find a support group or talk to therapist on how to best handle this. You’re a good person.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Want me to send you some pictures of my teeth to show her? The back of my mouth is the saddest thing on earth😭 years of making myself vomit ruined my teeth.

• 2 months ago

You can't help or fix someone else. Anorexia is an emotionally based illness. People who are anorexic have underlying mental illness issues. So she needs a doctor, a therapist. It's up to HER to want to get better. A doc or therapist can't fix her, either. It's entirely up to her to want to make positive life changes. They are trained professionals and can give her information about how to change and can be her support system.

She either does, or doesn't

• 2 months ago

put her in the psych unit so they can help her out

• 2 months ago

It's a mental disorder so you'd take her to mental health professionals.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

make her go to a psychiatrist and get some help

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.