Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 2 months ago

Computer question.?

Just built a gaming pc and hooked it up to the WiFi. A couple days later my WiFi start acting up and we had to call Comcast to get it fixed. My dad swears it’s because of my PC but there’s no way that me just connecting it to the WiFi would mess it up in any way besides making it slower due to another device being on it. The thing is that it’s messed up in this way before in the past, it just happened to mess up again after connecting my new pc for a couple days. Any thoughts?

I think it is more of a coincidence than something that your PC caused.

• A.J.

If you connected online to the wifi router settings it is possible to affect it, but a simple connection and computer hardware settings can at best take more of the bandwidth and slow down other devices. Your computer, in general use, cannot affect the modem or wifi router itself.

I found that with a new laptop I needed a newer and stronger wifi router and also found out my modem was old and unstable and needed a new one.

If Comcast has you with old hardware, it could benefit if they gave you newer hardware. It could also be other homes taking your bandwidth. Everything gets shared.

Your dad is wrong, but that doesn't mean Comcast has you set up the best you can be.

And note, if possible, gaming computers do better with ethernet connections rather than wifi. Online connected gaming does better with the fastest and most stable you can get.

• L.N.

Your dad doesn't understand how computers and WiFi work. Just making a WiFi connection won't break your router.