Will the galaxy watch active work?

I’ve been thinking of getting a smart watch for a while, but I want to make sure the one I buy will work with my other devices. 

The watch I have decided on is the Samsung Galaxy watch active. I however have an iPhone 7, but have been told they will still pair. I want the galaxy watch over an Apple Watch because I’m not going to have my iPhone much longer, and I’m not a big fan of the Apple watches. 

I’ve tried someone else’s android watch with my phone to see how well I would like one. It wouldn’t stayed paired to my phone though. I know I won’t be able to do much with the watch (unlike if I had an android phone), which is fine, but will it actually pair with my iPhone at all?

*I’m 100% set to buy the galaxy watch active if it will work, if not I won’t buy a watch at all. 

I have had Garmin watches, so the experience won't translate 100%.  However, the principle is the same.  The watches pair with Bluetooth, so as long as the phone has Bluetooth capabilities it should be fine.  I have an iPhone 7 and it pairs just fine with the several Garmin watches I've used.  I have a Garmin app installed, and it has to be running on the phone to pair properly.  So when the phone reboots, I have to manually restart the app.  The watch stores data locally, and can store several days of data before it needs to pair.  If you had an iPhone and Apple Watch, or a Samsung phone and Samsung watch, there would likely be more functionality in the software and more flexibility as far as using it with the phone's native health app, but most manufacturers provide enough basic functionality in their app that it's not a big deal.