Alison asked in PetsReptiles · 2 months ago

What kind of snake is this? ?

Snake in my backyard wondering what kind of snake this is? I am scared to death of snakes.

• oikoσ
    Favorite Answer

Looks like a black rat snake to me. Note the vertical sides. Most snakes have rounded sides. They are quite harmless to humans, although I have to fight them sometimes for my chickens' eggs. To be fair, they pay for them by keeping the mouse population low. They are one of the best snakes to use to get over your phobia. If picked up gently, they are very docile. If grabbed, they try to get away, rather than biting.

If you do not know what kind of snake you see, the best thing to do is to stay at least a few feet away. It is not possible to identify the snake in the picture because it is too low in resolution and because you did not tell us which country you are from.  If you are from the USA, then it is almost certainly not venomous because it does not look like either a coral snake or a viper, the only kinds of dangerous snakes in the USA. Coral snakes are brightly colored red yellow and black, and rattle snakes have short and chubby bodies and a rattle at the end of the tail. If you are from Australia or Asia, then it could be venomous because there are snakes like kraits and cobras that do not look short and chubby and they are very dangerous.

• y

What country are you in?  It will help narrow it down. My eyes are not that good so it could be anything from a black rat snack to a black mamba. So again, what country are you in?

• Alison2 months agoReport

USA Florida