Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

What can you say about putting plastic covers on books?

I know it could protect the cover from further damage but of course it's not 100% guaranteed. And is it true that it can cause discoloration among covers for a long period of time? Like the white colors will turn into yellow.

Favorite Answer

I never use plastic covers.

• Logan

Discolouration happens regardless of how well you care for the book as it slowly breaks down over time. There's just methods of making that degradation slow down, such as plastic jackets that help avoid people getting their bodily fluids and oils on the cover which assists in the breakdown of the material, or accidental spills.

If you get a jacket that's coloured it can protect against sun bleaching the colours out of the cover as well.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's saying things about plastic covers on books. I'm proud to say that I've never, ever, never talked about plastic covers on books, ever, and I never ever will.

• Andrew

I could talk about it all day. You see, I happen to be a native speaker of English and therefore am capable of discussing all sorts of different topics. I could speak at length about copper smelting and cloth dyeing techniques in pre-Columbian South America, or I could talk about how the deep woods and boggy interior of Chiloé Island is a haven for witch covens, or about how Grizzly Bears can throw 700 pound elk carcasses around as if they were playing with balls of yarn. But I'm not a huge fan of discussing plastic book covers because I'm an environmentalist and I think we've already got enough plastic in the world. So please have a bit of a rethink and consider putting a paper cover on your book if you're going to insist on having one at all. What you could do is use a paper bag - that's what I do. Feel free to use more than one if need be. Then you can draw your own covers on the books and everything. It's the best option really. Thanks for reading.  

I guess it makes sense if you're a library but I hate those things.  I don't even like the dust jackets.  I always remove those when I'm reading a hardcover book.  I like the feel of the actual book in my hands.  And I like reading books rather than collecting them.