I need a doctors note for work?

I’m pretty sure I have the flu so I called out for work and they said I needed a doctors note but I’m a minor and my mom is out of town for work all weekend and my step dad also works all weekend I don’t have a way to the doctor, I’ve never been to the doctor by myself. I don’t want to get fired. What do I do 

I’m 17, I’ve just never been to the doctor by myself 

The only way is in person, and even then, many dont back date notes. They would say when you could return to work. Its crazy to involve the health care system (you would also have to pay for the visit) for a 1 day note. Makes me mad. If you really cant get one, then you have to take whatever consequences there are for not having one.

• denise

Ask a friend, perhaps an older one to go to the doctors with you.  Or phone the doctors to see if they'll give you a note for work and perhaps someone could pick it up and deliver it for you, after all you don't want to be out and about if you have the flu.

Call a taxi, or Uber, or Lyft, to drive you to the doctor. They're not supposed to do surgery without a parent's consent, but if you just need a note for work, they might not need a parent's permission, or maybe they could get the parent's permission over the phone.

Also, if it is really the flu, then you'll be sick for longer than just the weekend, so you can have a parent take you to the doctor later, when they can. The only reason you would need to go now is if it's not the flu and you're going to be healthy (or dead) by the time your parents are available.

Take an Uber to the doctor.

• audrey

If you're old enough to have a job, you're old enough to go to the doctor by yourself. Grow up.

• denise

Not helpful!  some people need moral support.

Go to work.  If you are obviously ill, they will send you home. 

An alternative is to call your mom, your step-dad and have them help you solve the problem.   I find it hard to believe that step-dad can't get out of work to take a sick child to the doctor and that there is no back-up system in place for this such as a friend, relative, neighbor, etc.

• David

Your parent and guardian should be reported for leaving a minor at home all alone.

Phone them and tell them of the situation you are in.

• BBG

Read it again.   Mom is out of town.   Stepfather is not.

You call you're dad and explain the situation.  He can give telephone consent before you see the doctor.

If you are old enough to hold down a job you are old enough to sort this out. Put your big girl pants on and do some thinking for yourself.