Sleep apnea or something else?

I have had sudden gasping for air in the last few years. I wake up in terror with hear racing. However, it does not happen every night but once in a while, say once a month. I am not obese or overwirght, don't have diabetes or other health issues.I do not feel tired in the mornings or sleepy during the day. I tested for sleep apnea and everything seemed normal, incl. oxygen saturation. These gaspings for air seem more likely to happen while I sleep on by back and are rare while I sleep on side. I know that not all patients with sleep apnea are overweight but I don't know what to do in my case.

1. If you have apnea does it happen every night? Is it possible I still have it but in the night of the test it just didn't record any abnormanities?

2. What else could be checked? Is it possible that is something related to panic attacks during sleep?

Well, I have actually done a check and recorded my sleep. It showed no abnormalities. The normal is to have under 5 apneas (I actually had 2 which is within the normal range).

However, what if it does not happen every nigh so the tool didn't actually record any abnormality?

• Tavy
    Favorite Answer

This always happens to most of us when we sleep on our back. 

The tongue falls to the back of the throat and blocks the airways. Can't breathe,

Very common.

Shithead...YOU HAVE SLEEP APNEA....SO WHAT? Go to a SLEEP CLINIC and get the full POOP on your issue. The muscles holding your TONGUE out of your breathing path can DROOP and your STOP breathing. ... your BLOOD OXYGEN LEVEL goes DOWN and your BODY REACTS - sometimes VIOLENTLY.

• kelvin
      1 month agoReport

no they don't have that

• kelvin

my wife has it so bad that she has to use a special machine so she can sleep and what you have is not that