Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelFranceOther - France · 1 month ago

Amitriptyline- legal in France?

I am travelling to France tomorrow on the Eurostar and will be taking my medication with me. One of them is amitriptyline. Is amitriptyline legal in France and will I need to show the prescription? Google hasn’t given me any definite answers. Thanks 

• Orla C

You should always bring a copy of your doctor's prescription with you for any medication you need to take, because if you need it, you need it. It might be that your medication is known by a different name in France.

Amitriptyline is sold in the pharmacies under a prescription in France, although it can be called under these names:

_ Amitryptyline, Elavil, Tryptanol, Endep, Elatrol, Tryptizol, Trepiline, Laroxyl, Redomex.

Always have a prescription when you travel out of your country. It's the best.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/control...

Always keep medications in the original container when traveling internationally.

No one is going to care about your anti-depressant medication. 

With any prescription medication it is essential to keep it in the original container with your name on the printed label as attached by the pharmacy dispensing it..

It would do no harm to take the prescription as well.

Do not take idiot quantities, just the amount needed to last for your time abroad.

Amitriptyline is nothing special in the way of prescription medication and would certainly be legal in France.