do you agree that isolation booths should be banned as i think they are too harsh of a punishment ?

last wednesday i was sent to the detention room as a punishment for bad behavour and swearing at a teacher, we had to be in school at 8am which is a whole hour before the school day started, we then had to sit in isolation booths, the booths had a wooden partition so we could not see or speak to other students, we then were given work to do, maths english, french ge4orgrapy etc etc, we were only let ot for 15 minutes in the morning and half an hour for lunch which was at a different time then the rest of the school, the school day finishes vat 330pm but we had to stay in until 5 pm it was a MISREABLE punishment an d never want to go through it again, i will behave in future, but i think its too harsh of a punishment what do you think ?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, as you say you "never want to go through it again, i will behave in future", clearly it worked. The point of a punishment is to be miserable. If you enjoyed it, how would it be a punishment?

You were not physically harmed, or starved, or prevented from visiting a bathroom. You were in fact treated far more leniently than many schoolchildren of only 50 years ago.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 5 months ago

My oh my. You swore at a teacher and they didn’t throw you out of the school? That’s what they would’ve done when I was young. You have no complaint.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I think it was a fine punishment and it did it's job. It taught you to not act bad in class or swear at a teacher ever again; didn't it?

• 5 months ago

If that's the way your school runs their detention system, you'll have to suck it up if you get that punishment. I do think it's pretty harsh compared to other schools, but they may have their reasons.

I have heard from parents about their rather drastic punishments (or consequences) for serious misbehavior (shoplifting, fighting resulting in injuries, etc.). Generally the parents report that the kid took it to heart and never repeated that behavior. I don't really know the true details, however.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lisa M
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

Here's something; stop swearing at the teacher. Instead of asking them to improve the conditions, improve yourself.

In my day, there was no detention because kids liked school enough to know how to spell geography.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

maybe you should stop swearing at your teacher and then they wont put you in there

• JJ
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

It is not a harsh punishment.  I went to public school during the 1950's, when teachers administered punishment by using a stout piece of wood to hit the open palm of errant students.  

A cousin was a student during the 1950's at a school that is affiliated with an religious organization.  The teachers of that school would administer punishment to errant students by whipping them with a belt.  

• Jerry
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Oh you poor little mistreated thing! 

For millions of Americans, you're describing a typical work day, describing something BETTER than their typical work day. It's not like you were out in bad weather doing physical labor. You sat by yourself in a cubicle doing paper work all day excepting a short break every 2 hours. There was no socializing, just work. 

If that seems so incredibly miserable to you, then you must have had quite a fortunate life. For many such a day would be an improvement on being cold and hungry all the tme, an improvement on living in constant fear of abuse, an improvement on having no safe place to go. 

If you don't want to do the time, then don't do the crime. Easy.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Nope. You obviously deserved it.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Nah that's a good punishment apparently your parents never gave you time outs

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.