Not what I paid for?

I went into a reputable install shop in my area to buy a remote start for my car. Was offered a Viper system for $300 installed. Gave the ok to install. Went to pick up the car after install and noticed that the remote did not look like the viper remote he had showed me. Turns out they installed a different brand of remote start. I asked why was this done. Rep said it was the same system just different remotes. I asked if it was a difference in price. With a straight face, he and his manager said no. It’s the same price. Being late and Valentine’s Day, I went home. During dinner with the wife, I got the idea of looking up the prices on their website. The Viper was $300 installed. The Python (what i got) was only $220 installed. What can I do, or how can I handle this. 

Make they pay back the difference.

• zipper

Either you contact the BBB or you get an attorney. OR you forget it!

Talk to the store manager, not a clerk.

.

First, verify that the remote starter unit and not just the remote control is a Python. If it is a Viper, ask them to exchange the remote if it really matters that much to you.  

.

Second, did you get a quote or work order in writing specifying the Viper system before the work was done? If not, you're probably SOL. 

• The work order says VIPER 4105V. The unit installed was the Python 4105P. I have Two copies of the work order. One before the job and one when completed. Clerk said they grabbed the wrong box, But it should not matter since they are basically the same thing. 

That was straight up fraud. They lied to you. You got cheated. Small claims court might help, but not for $80.

• Yeah. I went today to get it corrected. I lost my cool when the rep didn’t understand why I wanted it replace. His argument was that it’s the same system. My argument was that I paid for a viper. Was offered the difference or come back Tuesday to get the REMOTES installed 

Now the shop could be "we install remote starters" not really pushing a brand name-as they are basically all the same=remote starters. What the manufacturer's website said is the installed price - that is Suggested Manufacturer's Price. They (the manufacturer)only have their brand RS.

The various shops do NOT have to follow the SMP.  It is called Capitalism. Free Enterprise.  Their price is higher. Period. Maybe in their line of work, (Remote starter installs(any brand) cost $300 PERIOD).That is what it costs.

. To them, one RS is the same as any other brand.

. Certainly you can become the squeaky wheel and go back and complain until they cough up the $80 for you...or swap it over to a Viper.

. What they did was silly considering how much of this information can be found on line.(they have to "eat" the additional cost as they have to put in extra work to switch the systems.

. Mentioning you got many friends on-line who would be interested in who is a REPUTABLE SHOP - they realize that their reputation can be sewered by not satisfying you.   "Reputation matters" and it only takes one bad review to knock them off their perch.

Bait and switch he shows you a 599$ system and you agree to the 399$ system ughhh

One possible answer, this is why it's good to look for reputable mechanics who will do the least amount of work for the lowest price with the intent not to giuge you. Ask around for word of mouth reputation.

• He showed me the viper system first. He did have other and cheaper brands. We agreed on the viper 4105V system as noted on the receipt. Paid for the Viper 4105V, but was installed a cheap python one. Their website clearly has them both at different price points

You return to the shop with the receipt and demand an $80 refund. Don't let the receipt out of your possession. That's if you are willing to accept the existing installation. I suppose you could try to get them to remove the cheaper one and fit the Viper. Your choice. If they start arguing tell them you will sue them in the small claims court and ask for costs against them. Then do that if necessary.

• I’m going back tomorrow. Thank you. 

Looks like you got scammed.  You should have asked for particulars before you said yes.  "How much is it and WHAT do I get for this price?" should have saved you a lot of trouble. You should also have requested a written job order.

Complain to your local business bureau.  Good luck.

• I have the receipt that says I paid for a Viper 4105V unit. The rep even showed me what I was getting before the install