Maia
Maia asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 months ago

Are you one of those people who will read a book just once and never ever re-read it? If you are, why is that?

• Huh?
    Favorite Answer

Yes.  I've read many books that, while perfectly ok, don't have enough thought or nuance in them to be much worth reading more than once.  A few were just terrible for one reason or another and not worth revisiting.  But there are plenty of books I've read more than once, some several times.  Some examples:

War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy (yes, I've read it twice!)

Nineteen Eighty-four - George Orwell - several times

A Scanner Darkly - Philip K. Dick - three or four times

The Gangs of New York - Herbert Asbury - several times

Hollywood Babylon - Kenneth Anger - several times

• Lili

No, I've reread many books.

Because it's never the same experience twice?

No. I'm very careful when I choose my books and will only purchase books that I know I'll really love and reread. If I end up reading a book that I know I'd never end again (this rarely happens), it does straight in the trash. I'm no hoarder.

There are many books that I've read just once and know I won't want to read again. But there are many more that I've read and re-read over and over again.

• chorle

I rarely re read a book that isn't a cookbook, tech book, or Jack Prelutsky Poetry unless reading it for someone but I will relisten to books and audio drama to relax at nap time also in hopes of drowning out the noises of thing like lawnmowers and leaf blowers.  

Depends on the book. If it’s a potential reference source, those are the keepers. Not so much with fiction, mainly because those a paperback. I donate them to those little neighborhood libraries.

• Cogito

No, I'm not.  If I really enjoy a book, I'll read it many times over the years.  Sometimes, if I have read a book but didn't really understand it, I may well leave it for a few months or even years and then try again.

rereading books is a matter of how much time you have.........age,  and the amount of boredom on your hands.  

I am constantly buying new books to read,   so that cuts down on my re-reading time. 

In fact, at this very moment......I am anxiously awaiting a package, that has 15 new books in it. 

Having said that.......yes, I have in the past  re-read several books.....especially my dog eared copy of Les Miserables,  which I have read many times now. 

(athough, I admit,  I skip over the 40 page rant over a Paris Gamin is...... because it's endless repetitive and boring, and 40 pages to describe with a street wise urchin is.........is about 38 pages too long.  The rest of the book is solid reading......but I don't know why an editor didn't cut that one part down to just 2 or 3 pages at the most. )

40 is just ridiculous.  But otherwise......I really enjoy that book. 

• Andrew

It really depends on the book far more than it depends on me. If were talking about a book like "Pale Fire" or "Under the Volcano", then multiple reads are going to be a requirement. There's just too much to be taken in and absorbed for anybody to do it in a single read. But there are plenty of books that simply aren't worth a revisit. I don't need to slog through any of the Faulkner novels that I've already read to reconfirm that he's awful. The same goes for Edith Wharton. What might I possibly gain from rereading "Wuthering Heights" or "The Phantom of the Opera"? If they were that ghastly the first time around, there's no point. I must have read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" upwards of two dozen times. I must have reread Louis-Ferdinand Céline's "Journey to the End of the Night" upwards of fifty. Authors like Raymond Chandler and Haruki Murakami stand up to multiple reads. But many authors don't. Besides, when you have a list of books you'd like to get to that contains over two thousand titles, you've got to be a bit choosy when it comes to how much time to devote to a particular book.