Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 month ago

Is calculus really necessary for a business major?

Yeah, I really see how ∫(x)dx=F(b)-F(a) is gonna help me in marketing.

The teaching institution must provide instruction for all of its students and any careers which they might pursue. You might not need calculus but one or more of your fellow students might need it when they become Rocket scientists working for Elon Musk. Grin and bare it, or drop out and go to a Technical college.

Marketing is all about maximizing profits and minimizing expenses. The best way to do this is by using the calculus of the parabola. All parabolas have either a maximum point or a minimum point, so it is ideal for this. What if something in the manufacturing process changes at a rate relative to something else that would affect production? Using the calculus of derivatives would work for this.

The more calculus you know, the more you understand about how things work in the Universe.

Not really unless you end up doing business analysis. But it exercises your brain and teaches you to think critically.

But I doubt you'll use it. And I used a lot of math in business, but not calc.

Basic Algebra is used a LOT, and Unit Cancellation technique. I constantly help a lot of people at work with math, including the owners, so get a good grasp of the basics!

Not really, however it's a way of getting rid of students & the schools make money by forcing people to take it.

Yes. It exercises, strengthens, and trains your brain. - accountant

• Pope

I have never been such a great businessman myself, but I appreciate that business is a very complicated subject. I would hesitate to stake my interests on someone who balked at introductory calculus. You are right about that equation though:

∫(x)dx=F(b)-F(a)

No, that will not help you with marketing or anything else. It is a misstatement of the fundamental theorem of calculus.

• It can't hurt and you don't know what you don't know.

• ted s

f(x) is your company's profit function , domain is days...what is the expected total profit for the next 5 years ?....what is the daily marginal profit in December ?..if we raise our prices what will happen to our profit & sales ? ..Calculus concepts in 1,2,3 variables ...also you need some linear algebra concepts if your school is a good business school

• Cowboy

Only if you wanna know what the hell is going on.....

I'm not actually sure but it's still learning rates and strengthening your core math manipulation skills. Don't marketers work with stats/data?